Completely repair or replace wood under roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I sadly have the roof of my house off atm and apparently the wood underneath is not in a good state. Is the repair option even a viable option for long term maintenance where I dont need to touch it for several decades?

Thanks. and I forgot photos today.

Sponsored Links
The planks are apparently to thin and some are basically liftable by hand! Was recommended to have new planks attached to the old ones..
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20221110_093644.jpg
    IMG_20221110_093644.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20221110_094533 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20221110_094533 - Copy.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 201
You mean the wall plate? There has been a chimney removed at some point and a new bit of plate put in, dont really see what the problem is here.

Sponsored Links
I dont know what anything is called. The planks, the angled ones that were holding up the slates, some of them are rotten and liftable by hand.
Is attaching new timber to reinforce them a good idea? And are they also too thin currently? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-20211214-WA0065.jpg
    IMG-20211214-WA0065.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 93
Sarking board probably. If they are rotten they should be replaced or if you are renewing the roof from asbestos tiles to concrete the sarking boards can be dispensed with and replaced with battens and membrane. Your roofer will know this...Are you in Scotland?

Cement fibre are the replacement slates. hes just on about attaching new planks to the current ones. Not sure if rotten but a couple of the ones in the picture could be picked up by hand easily.

Am in Devon.

He probably means sistering tjr existing rafters .
They don't look particularly thin for a cement fibre slate . No doubt there is a purlin under the rafters.
Seems stressing over nothing .
Sure if you can not refix the rafter feet to the wall plate then sister the rafter or fit a new section of plate.

Last edited:
He probably means sistering tjr existing rafters .
They don't look particularly thin for a cement fibre slate . No doubt there is a purlin under the rafters.
Seems stressing over nothing .
Sure if you can not refix the rafter feet to the wall plate then sister the rafter or fit a new section of plate.
I think he's ripping me off. Hes charging me an extra £1500 for the new timber to attach to the current timber and labour etc.

In my quote it already says :
"Supply and fit new breathable felt, felt support trays, and timber battens."
So is it common to add new battens? Or does that part of the quote refer to different battens then the ones I showed in the picture.

Also trying to charge me another 2.5k for the fascia and gutter becasue one side of the tenement looks like this:
so needs to fix the render up, I guess that could take a while for someone who isnt an actual renderer. Surely would sub contract in this situation if had to? Maybe cant find someone in time. Still isnt 2.5k for a small tenements gutter/fascia even with that side a bit steep??? Can see the size in the earlier photo.

IMG_20221110_093558.jpg

£10,000 is what it cost me in 2018 to replace my soffits, the battens, the underfelt and the tiles and that was in Yorkshire. This house that we have just moved to in Wales had similar work done in 2017 and that cost £7000. Probably much bigger roofs than what you have but the work level is much the same.

I dont know what anything is called. The planks, the angled ones that were holding up the slates, some of them are rotten and liftable by hand.
Is attaching new timber to reinforce them a good idea? And are they also too thin currently? Thanks.
Why not use Google images and search something like 'roof construction', you'd soon find images detailing what the various elements of a roof are.

Is the person a professional with credentials you can trust?

On a tv prog only last night they did a piece on cowboy builders with one tactic often being to agree a price, and then conveniently finding other jobs that need doing as they go ... all at extra charge.

Before anyone starts, yes I know this can often happen to legitimate tradespeople once they commence works ;)

The images you posted show rafters , rafter feet in fact .
Condition , not uncommon on older properties. Batten run perpendicular to rafters and your slates nail to these battens .
Are you saying he is putting new timber alongside the existing rafters ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back