Completely repair or replace wood under roof?

cool .. a tad messy but there are options.
Interesting slate where is it?
have you another picture from above now?
Sorry for slowness of the reply!

Circa 1850s Devon/Plymouth slate.

Ok is it messy enough for it to cost 3 thousand though lol (including the cost of the gutter/fascia and redirecting from neighbours gutter, which surely is simply cutting the old one away from it) Its a small roof, and I dont mind it being expensive, just not twice as expensive as it should be! There is a 15 year guarantee too, but if its not insurance based its worthless right? Anyone can just dissolve their company before makiing a new one and make it invalid I think?

showing which parts better?
IMG-20221201-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20221201-WA0008.jpg

Sponsored Links
I can see why the price would go up! I'm up north so prices are different, a lot of people would walk away from that job so I'm guessing he's seen it before and knows what he's doing.

Ok, glad its just expensive rathern than a total rip-off then
I can see why the price would go up! I'm up north so prices are different, a lot of people would walk away from that job so I'm guessing he's seen it before and knows what he's doing.
How can you walk away when the roof is naked?

There is a bit of faffing about. I see minimal timber works but a bit of masonry work to support and secure the plate.
things are starting to make sense.

Sponsored Links
£3.3k now just for rebuilding that wall and fitting a new fascia/gutter on a small roof, including adding new wood for the fascia to attach too. Looks awful, but this is a small roof, still feel im being ripped off, is that really a worst case scenario job for a roofer? One of the 3 sides, one of the longer ones was actually in ok condition underneath the old fascia too.

£3.3k now just for rebuilding that wall and fitting a new fascia/gutter on a small roof, including adding new wood for the fascia to attach too. Looks awful, but this is a small roof, still feel im being ripped off, is that really a worst case scenario job for a roofer? One of the 3 sides, one of the longer ones was actually in ok condition underneath the old fascia too.
I'm not sure there is any point in thinking this, you've gone too far to stop, all you can do is accept it's been repaired and you no longer have leaks etc. There is no point in getting angry about it at this stage.

If it's of any help I was quoted a few years ago 15k to re-roof a slate roof re-using the existing slate tiles, but put new ridge tiles on, this was on a 2 up 2 down end of terrace around 5 years ago before all this inflation and pandemic rubbish.

One thing Im confused by, I thought the walls of this house were granite not slate? Is the slate perhaps just used at the top for behind the fascia??
Its really important, but no idea where to ask!? Thanks.

hows it looking? (and walls were slate and cobb)
IMG_20230205_144645.jpg
IMG_20230205_144655.jpg
IMG_20230205_163131.jpg
IMG_20230205_163153.jpg

Blind man would be happy to see it I guess.
The gulley between the wall and roof .. is that acrypol ??? On a new roof ?
There is a school boy error with the eave cut courses . But I'll look the other way .

Blind man would be happy to see it I guess.
The gulley between the wall and roof .. is that acrypol ??? On a new roof ?
There is a school boy error with the eave cut courses . But I'll look the other way .
thats depressing for 16.4k. The errors arent at least bad enough for the longevity to be hindered... right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back