Completely repair or replace wood under roof?

Sponsored Links
The images you posted show rafters , rafter feet in fact .
Condition , not uncommon on older properties. Batten run perpendicular to rafters and your slates nail to these battens .
Are you saying he is putting new timber alongside the existing rafters ?
Was going to nail new rafters to old rafters, yes. The wall plates were super loose too.

Quite confusing. You should get some more quotes,advice.
I literally have my roof off atm, the scaffold was organized by him. Even though Im being ripped off I think I just have to go ahead with it?

£1500 to add a few more lengths of 3x2 to those? heck I'd be off to the wood merchants getting some and a brand new saw to cut it up with and doing it all for way way way less than that! IMO it's a few hours work at most, certainly not worth that much.

Sponsored Links
"
"To supply and erect necessary scaffolding/ladder access to comply with health and safety regulations, and remove on completion works.
To remove all slates, ridges, timber battens and underlay felt around all sides of the tenement roof exposing the timber rafters.
Disc cut a 150mm chase from base of chimney and remove old chimney render exposing chimney bricks.
Supply and fit new breathable felt, felt support trays, and timber battens.
Supply and fit new cement fibre slates using copper fixings.
Supply and fit code 4 lead dressed to form new chimney flashings, and soakers.
Supply and fit new ventilated ridge system, with new modern ridges.
All roofing waste to be removed, and the working area to be left clean and tidy.
Price is to include removal of all asbestos slates.
"

original 10.5k quote btw.
I should have researched roofing basics before looking at quotes. Damn..

Hes buggered off now with the ladder I, cant even get up there. Probably doing work elsewhere. We have had bad weather, showers etc. The excuse is that now hes working alone it takes longer, he doesnt want to uncover it just for a few hours work.

Dont think hes done any work since the 2 days at most it took to rip off the old one.

To be fair, it's reasonable to be cautious about opening a roof up if the weather's iffy .
..but let's see once he's back

At least one of the rafters is rotten at the bottom, you've also stated the wall plates were loose,

He could just not have said anything then you would be moaning about him doing shoddy work, don't think the trader can do right here.

Don't think £1500 is too bad, take into account time and materials, also depends on how many he's doing, I presume he isn't just doing the 1 rotten one and it's a few he's doing.

At least one of the rafters is rotten at the bottom, you've also stated the wall plates were loose,

He could just not have said anything then you would be moaning about him doing shoddy work, don't think the trader can do right here.

Don't think £1500 is too bad, take into account time and materials, also depends on how many he's doing, I presume he isn't just doing the 1 rotten one and it's a few he's doing.

I think im mostly ****ed with myself for not noticing that the rafters werent included in the quote.
However others seem to diagree with you concerning the cost.

I think im mostly ****ed with myself for not noticing that the rafters werent included in the quote.
However others seem to diagree with you concerning the cost.

Others may disagree there is no harm in that..

I'm down south so used to things being expensive so maybe I'm numb to it

Dunno about the wood yet for the roof. wasnt included in original quote so thats my own fault, but sured be nice to know if was still fair or not.
well its 3k extra for the fascia/gutter, but maybe thats ok considering how bad this is lol:

IMG-20221130-WA0000.jpg

cool .. a tad messy but there are options.
Interesting slate where is it?
have you another picture from above now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back