Compression Joint under Screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would like advice from any plumbers out there please.

I have just moved a radiator from one side of the room to another. System is drained down and I am tapping into existing pipes (dug down into screed).

My problem is that although I have removed *most* of the water there is still some small amount in the pipes. When I tried soldering a 15mm copper endcap on one of the old rad feeds it didn't really take.

So my questions are:
1. Any solution that will enable me to solder? and if not;
2. Will compression joints be acceptable under a screeded floor?

Roy

Sponsored Links
Compression joints under a floor in concrete is not really practical in case they weep later on. If there is absolutely no other choice wrap them well in duct tape before screeding over after leaving them visible for 2/3 days to check for leaks.

Have you tried blowing through the pipe to expel the water, or maybe using a wet vac to suck it out then heat the pipe a few inches up from the joint to dry it out before attempting to solder.

Thanks for the reply - I did blow through the pipe and it didn't *feel" like there was any more water in there although they were a bit damp. When I soldered the fitting it eventually turned blue/black and the solder hadn't taken. I did clean joints thoroughly and use flux etc and have soldered many times before.

Maybe I'll try and get hold of a wet n dry vax and see if I can remove any more water.

I must admit I won't feel happy with compression sjoints under the screed.

A tip from an old plumber now sadly fallen off his twig. :(

Push a plug of bread up the pipe. This will absorb the water long enough to solder the cap on.

Might sound daft - but it actually works!!!!!

Sponsored Links
giblets said:
A tip from an old plumber now sadly fallen off his twig. :(

Push a plug of bread up the pipe. This will absorb the water long enough to solder the cap on.

Might sound daft - but it actually works!!!!!

Funny that, I was actually told that this morning by another plumber, I didn't believe him at first, but you have now confirmed this, egg on my face :oops:

If you had a bit of bread dave you could have put the egg on that instead of your face.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: .. Bread trick an old one was told it nearly thirty years ago . Trouble is it can sometimes get stuck just don`t pack it to tightly in

Thin bit of plastic pipe stuffed down the pipe and you can syphon the water out :rolleyes:

The bread trick is as old as the hills, though I would'nt use it on heating pipes, thats asking for a blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back