computer is freezing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any-one know why my stupid computer keeps freezing when i try to close a window. A message saying ' so and so is not responding' then asks if i want to send an error report :mad: It is really really annoying me :evil: I would be grateful if someone could give an explanation as to why its doing this thanx

Sponsored Links
TRy going to www.microsoft.com click on Microsoft update (It'll get arsy if your're npthing using explorer) then follow the instructions. It may help or it may not.

It may be freezing because it's overheating!

If it's a laptop, check you're not blocking the inlet vents. If a case type, check the cooling fan is not clogged and is performing correctly. If the processor overheats, which they do, easily, it will default to very slow to save itself.

mandiehun said:
Does any-one know why my stupid computer keeps freezing when i try to close a window. A message saying ' so and so is not responding' then asks if i want to send an error report :mad: It is really really annoying me :evil: I would be grateful if someone could give an explanation as to why its doing this thanx
I would have thought it would have got warmer when you close the window - strange it freezes when you close it. Have you tried getting it a nice tartan coat? ;)

Sponsored Links
:) nothing is working, its still freezing,especially when i put it on the microsoft website, and when its checking for updates its on for about 30mins before i lose my temper and turn it off :mad: Its not the fan because i cleaned that a few weeks ago. I dont understand :cry:

it wont even let me scan for viruses now. And in my recycle bin theres files or something rb3.tmp and rb4.tmp,i delete them but when i restart my computer there back in the recycle bin. All this has seemed to have happened since i updated my PC guard this morning.help!!!!!!!!! :confused:

You've really told us nothing about your system, so it's quite difficuilt to give advice.

I take it you do regular housekeeping tasks suchs as disk cleanup and defragmentation and you've cleared your temp. files etc. and all your security updates are in place?

You mention that it started after an update. You could possibly try a system restore.

The moer info we have, the better we can help.

i havent been able to defragment or disc clean up for about a year,dont know why it just doesnt go past 1%. I dont know how to clear my temp files :oops: But all my updates are up to date. It all started when i updated my pc guard. I dont know whether i've let a virus in somehow. 99% of the time its not letting me open any programs on my desktop, and it seems to be restoring itself somehow. I've just tried system restore but surprise surprise it jammed. I'm at the end of my tether. I dont really know a lot about computers because i only use it for leisure :cry:

Right, so i created a system restore point and its went back to my old pc guard. So i tried updating it again and it says it wont do this because there is missing components or something in my old pc guard so i tried un-installing my old one but it wont let me!!! so now i have no anti-virus,firewall etc on my computer. So does anyone know why it wont let me un-install it? sorry for being a pain in the jacksy but i am now officailly at my wits end :cry: :cry: :cry:

mandiehun said:
i havent been able to defragment or disc clean up for about a year,dont know why it just doesnt go past 1%.

That's a long time to leave a problem unaddressed. If you have nothing of value on the PC or if you are able to backup any important stuff, I would suggest reloading the o/s from scratch or using any system restore disks you have to put it back to factory default.

Thanx everyone for their help. I think it was the pc guard,still wont uninstall but i've put a new one in for the mean time and its running fine now, thanx

Iwould ditch pcguard and download Spybot&AVG this far better as s PCguard has more holes than a fishing net and is probably causing you grief also many programs run in the background that you dont need to run until you decide when you want to run you can eliminate unneccessary programs by going to Start-Run-then type in msconfig and choose startup a list of programs will appear with a box the ones ticked are running to uncheck the ones you dont want to run if you hit the link below(answers that work ) it recommends which programs you dont need to run and can safely uncheck them remmember you are not deleting these programs only stopping it from running and once you have done this re-boot hopefully doing this will help your machine to run a little bit faster
Davy

http://www.answersthatwork.com/ (choose task list)

Sponsored Links
Back