Concerned about earthing for electric shower... is this safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Just had our electric shower installed (problems with the previous unit, bad plumbing etc.)

Was just having a quick look and noticed a bit of bare wire. Popped the cover off and found that the plumber had stripped the earth wire further than where it is recommended... a lot further. He covered it with electrical tape, but not very well (as a I could see that some of it was bare).

The unit we have says NOT to seal around it with silicone, so this wire will be open to any moisture etc.

Is this going to be a problem, or is the earth wire OK to have that much exposure?

Thanks for any help!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You need to copy the link with the

the middle cable is the earth, it has been wrapped with red (and a bot of blue) electrical tape

DSC03030.jpg

Side view (you can see another earth cable running beneath the shower unit

DSC03028.jpg

Jesus Christ monkey balls!

Who did the wiring? Did the person who fitted it give you any certificates? Did he ride in on a horse?

Get yourself some of this and sleeve the earth conductor along it's entire length.

I think it was the horse

It's hard holding wire strippers in your hooves.

so... I'm guessing using it would not be a good idea. thought getting some casing would be the best idea.

thanks for your help.

was the plumber who stripped the earth wire too far. no certs. from him. should he have any, or is that electrician only? this was a replacement of an electric shower, so the wiring was already in.

Well, judging by his workmanship I wouldn't be too happy using that shower myself. The lack of sheathing over the earth conductor isn't dangerous as it is there for indication purposes and to prevent it coming into contact with live conductors when the whole lot is pushed inside the casing but the tape used doesn't conform to the standardised colours (a CPC shouldn't be sleeved as phase and neutral :S )

Replace the sleeving, and check the connections are tight and that minimal insulation has been removed from the live conductors and you should be ok, assuming the cable and protective device was installed by a competent electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back