Concrete Floor? Can this be done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a side passage between my house and my outhouses and wish to make it part of the house.

So firstly i will be putting a perpex roof which should be easy enough, but i want to level the floor out from the paving stones ( some of which have settled so not 100% level) to the outhouses concrete floor which is about an inch higher.

Can i simply pour concrete on top of the paving and level it out?

Secondly if this is possible, how much concrete and what type will i need to do this?

The area is about 6m by 1m by 1inch deep.

Is the job something i could do myself? Approx cost for material?

or

better to get a proffesional in? Approx cost?

look foward to replys.

ta

Sponsored Links
if your turning it into habbitable space you may need planning permision you may need to comply with building regs [heat loss insulation ect damp proof membrane on the floor] you definatly will need planning permision if you move the back door to the new structure

you need to ask your local council for definitive guidance

Hi,

no it wont be changed in to habitable place as such, the back door to the house proper will still be in place. Its just basically to prevent rainfall in alley way and give some were for the dogs to stay during the day. The outhouses contain the compliances ( fridge, washing machine, dryer), and are already plumbed/ electrical supply. So would just like to put some lino down throught out to keep in clean and tidy.

you would have to take up the paving slabs, see what is underneath them, maybe excavate and put down hardcore, also a damp-proof membrane or it will be damp.

Concrete will crack if it is not at least 4 inches thick so you can't just pour a bit over your old slabs.

Unless you are fit and strong and like heavy work you will find it easier to get a local builder in, a couple of men could do it in a couple of days I should think. But ask around for recommendations and don't use someone you've never heard of.

Sponsored Links
Hi Aces, I would say that there are several ways to deal with your situation, The most effective and pukker job would be to remove all the slabs/stone that already exist down too 200mm [8''] then add hard core over the whole site, making sure its of an even thickness of approx 75mm[3''] and well consolodated. [ you can use the old paving as hardcore] then cover the hardcore with 50mm [ 2''] of blinding sand, anysand will normally do, the sand simply protects the damp proof membrane [dpm] from the sharp edges of the hardcore, then cover the sand with your dpm, and finaly lay your concete, i would lay the conrete in two bays of 1m by 3m, this will allow for expansion and contraction, 75mm [3''] will be thick enough for pedestrian traffic...............before you concrete make sure that your not covering any pipes or access holes for pipes.

the Second way may be easier, lift the existing floor, level the area put down sand, then level and simply lay paving slabs [ dpm optional].

or even easier remove existing floor and level lay dpm, then cover with 50mm [ 2''] large pebbles.......

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back