Concrete Plinth and Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I asked this in the building forum and it was suggested I ask here instead.

Our house is constructed on a slope and the concrete plinth at the front (I think that is what it is called - the concrete render that runs along at ground level to stop water splashing up onto the bricks) is about 2 ft high. The gas meter is attached to the house on at this level i.e. screwed through the plinth to the brick.

Unfortunately, the concrete has come away from the wall and there is a gap of about 1/2 to 1 inch along most of it, which we need to remedy as vegetation tends to grow out of it and it lets rain run down, which causes slight damp in our living room. The only problem is that the gas meter is in the way and would need to come off (it is hanging off now as a result of the concrete coming away). I assume the plinth would need to be chipped off and re rendered. This means that the gas meter couldn't be put back straight away but would have to be off the wall for a while.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best way of going about this? I assume Transco will have to deal with the meter. Is it best to shut off the gas meter for a short period whilst the work is done and then reinstate it later (which I assume would mean two transco visits) or is there another way that anyone can suggest. The pipes feeding it come straight up from beneath the drive, up the front of the house and into the bottom of the meter box, so it can't be moved away from the wall without messing with the pipes.

Sponsored Links
I've always found transco to be helpful where they can be. Try asking them. You'll get more of a chat if you call them on their non-emergency number which will be in yer phone book.

Sponsored Links
why not swap to an "in-the -ground" (brown) meter box and have the gas pipe enter the house just above the plinth.

And why have a concrete plinth at all if it causes so much trouble. Unless the house needs it for a structural reason it might be better to replace the concrete with a lime render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back