Condensate Free Boiler???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, shortly i will be installing a new central heating system, do worcester bosch or any other good well known brands do a condensate free combi boiler as the postioning of the new boiler is no-where near a waste pipe, and a condensate pump would be pointless! I have seen a few worcester boilers with a Pressure Relief Valve, does this require drainage?
Thanx :)

Sponsored Links
Worcester don't do a band d boiler no.

prv needs to discharge outside or into a waste pipe via a tundish.

You'll have problems if you come to sell your house and corgi registered installers can't fit it or commission it.

Little hope of warrantie.

Which planet do you normally inhabit?

Hi thanx for the reply, can you explain what a tundish is please, the boiler will be located in a large cupboard under the stairs, the house is an end terrace, can you advise on what can be done, i would be grateful.

Tundish is a fitting put in a vertical section of a discharge pipe with one side or both opened out so that you can tell when the discharge is flowing and can get something done about it.

If you have suspended (wooden floors) can you run the prv discharge and the condensate under the floor to the back yard or garden with a drop on it (or via a pump) into a rainwater gulley that has kitchen waste going into it, or dig a soakaway as per manufacturers instructions (when you get them) but roughly speaking it's 500mm away from house hole the size of a bucket, buy a ready made 4" pipe with the right holes for about a tenner, surround with limestone chippings (available where you buy the correct part). With the soakaway you could come out of the house below floor below ground level so that you can still get your drop.

We put a lot of soakaways in it's very often the best method, I have heavy breaking equipment, you can hire it for £20 or so.

You would have to be from another planet to entertain not using a condensing boiler.

It is good that you have vocalised just how extra difficult all this economy has made our job, we should be charging twice as much as we did in the non condensing era as most jobs take twice as long. After many such jobs I kick myself for being so optomistic about how the job would go.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a condensate pump will be the only option as the kitchen floor is concrete, would prob be best to run the discharge pipe fom the pump directly above to the bathroom into a waste pipe, are the pumps quiet when the are running? and are they reliable?

Paul Barker said:
It is good that you have vocalised just how extra difficult all this economy has made our job, we should be charging twice as much as we did in the non condensing era as most jobs take twice as long. After many such jobs I kick myself for being so optomistic about how the job would go.

I was (still am) regarded as a killjoy by those pedalling the lies about how little extra work would be needed to install condensing boilers. Manufacturers (not all of them) and all others with snouts in troughs are still lieing about how easy, quick, cheap it is. Now there's a wally on television adverts giving the impression he's going to save loads of fuel by installing a condensing boiler.

carlvalley said:
Looks like a condensate pump will be the only option as the kitchen floor is concrete, would prob be best to run the discharge pipe fom the pump directly above to the bathroom into a waste pipe, are the pumps quiet when the are running? and are they reliable?

Fit an Atmos boiler. A quality product that doesn't need a condensate pipe - the only boiler.. It has a pump that squirts the condesnate into the the exhaust stream.

http://www.atmos.uk.com/product_group.asp?section=000200130005

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

oilman wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:

I was (still am) regarded as a killjoy by those pedalling the lies about how little extra work would be needed to install condensing boilers. Manufacturers (not all of them) and all others with snouts in troughs are still lieing about how easy, quick, cheap it is. Now there's a wally on television adverts giving the impression he's going to save loads of fuel by installing a condensing boiler.

You should stick to oil.

MOD 2
and you should learn to use the edit key

Water Systems said:
oilman said:
Paul Barker said:

You should stick to oil.

I do :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Paul Barker said:
Worcester don't do a band d boiler no.

prv needs to discharge outside or into a waste pipe via a tundish.

A boiler pressure relief can discharge into a waste pipe? How long has this been the case? An unvented cylinder could using a dry HepVO trap. It has to be a dry trap as it will dry out if a wet trap. Best have the Tundish a 32mm size otherwise a splash. See Hepworth HepVO. They have a diagram too.

http://tinyurl.com/yek6z9

Paul Barker said:
Tundish is a fitting put in a vertical section of a discharge pipe with one side or both opened out so that you can tell when the discharge is flowing and can get something done about it.

If you have suspended (wooden floors) can you run the prv discharge and the condensate under the floor to the back yard or garden with a drop on it (or via a pump) into a rainwater gulley that has kitchen waste going into it, or dig a soakaway as per manufacturers instructions (when you get them) but roughly speaking it's 500mm away from house hole the size of a bucket, buy a ready made 4" pipe with the right holes for about a tenner, surround with limestone chippings (available where you buy the correct part). With the soakaway you could come out of the house below floor below ground level so that you can still get your drop.

We put a lot of soakaways in it's very often the best method, I have heavy breaking equipment, you can hire it for £20 or so.

You would have to be from another planet to entertain not using a condensing boiler.

Or kick yourself not knowing about the Atmos boiler. :)

Hi Water Systems, do you know if the atmos boiler is available to buy now? Have been on the website, no link on purchasing the boiler!

Water Systems has been retired for several years and in any case was never CORGI registered to install boilers and he considers practical hands on work beneath him as he is/was a "theory/design" man.

Try your local chain plumbing merchant to see if they can get them.

Tony

I have seen these a couple of times and as much as i am probably going to regret it, Water is spot on they seem a nice piece of kit,

Water systems,

If the condensate is exited through the flue is it turned to steam first?

Silly question probably but would appreciate an answer!

;)

I too have a situation where condensate pipe is an issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back