condensation and paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do all

bit of paint advice required - our single skinned, under used, front porch got very wet this winter from condensation (puddles and everything!!) - it's caused a bit of mould and the paint to bubble up and come off in places - i painted it in bog standard emulsion and it now needs doing again before we can start re-using it as a porch.

what kind of paint would be best suited for this environment? external masonry paint, kitchen/bathroom paint, dampseal stuff(?) - or a.n.other???

(i can't think of any (cheap) way of stopping the problem from occurring in the first place - suggestions welcome - note it doesn't have any electrical points (for putting in a heater Etc...) also security is an issue (i.e. we can't leave the window(s) open when we're not around))

cheers

ady

Sponsored Links
There is this stuff here which you could use, never tried it myself so don't know if its any good.
You may wish to consider putting in an air brick to allow some ventilation, this is always the best solution to condensation. If it occurs because the walls are very cold there is a foam 'lining paper' than can be applied, we have some in our kitchen that was applied by the previous occupants of the house, we don't ever get condensation on the walls.

king.module said:
i can't think of any (cheap) way of stopping the problem from occurring in the first place - suggestions welcome - note it doesn't have any electrical points (for putting in a heater Etc...) also security is an issue (i.e. we can't leave the window(s) open when we're not around))
Try this first to see if it improve,you need ventilation,you can buy a slim window vent kit or fit a air brick with open/shut cover grill.

Sponsored Links
D'oh- i didn't even think off that!!!!
and strangely enough i put an air brick into another part of the house only last weekend - lol

cheers peeps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back