Condensation - do I need air bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having problems with condensation in our back bedroom. There was previously damp due to leaking flashings around the chimney stack, and the ceiling wall near the chimney was damp.

This was resolved, but now we are getting condensation in the same place. It is literally dripping off the ceiling some days. The plasterboard is sound so I'm sure the moisture is not coming through from above, and is in fact condensation from below ie. the bedroom.

There is also some condensation on the windows, as you would expect this time of year.

The trouble is, the house is all double glazed, with no air vents built into them. We also have no air bricks in the house, so I dont really know where this moisture is supposed to go?

Its a 1950s build - should it really have air bricks installed?

My parents installed one of these (link below) in their house and swear it made a huge difference, but it looks like it forces the air down from the loft and out of windows/air bricks, but in our case it would surely have nowhere to go.

http://www.dryhomecondensation.co.uk/

We also use a de-humidifier, which in the past worked well, but it seems to be struggling to cope a bit at the moment.

Any thoughts appreciated. It genuinly does look like condensation rather than a leak, but it seem strange that it always collects on the same wall/ceiling.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Condensation will always form on the coldest surface, so it will tend to form in the same place.

Is the loft insulated behind the plasterboard? If not, it should help, but then you are left with where does the air condense next?

The fitting of some trickle vents to the plastic frames will help, but if you choose to fit a wall vent, then there are products available which will ventilate, but not let draughts in, so don't just fit a clay airbrick. Try http://www.airtechenvironmental.co.uk/Pages/passivevents/vapourventdata.htm

Those positive pressure fans that your parents fitted are very good, and in most cases will push air out of the numerous cracks and gaps around the home, but sometimes will require a permanent vent/airbrick too. I have never known them not to cure condensation problems, except for them most extreme cases. But your situation is not bad enough to warrant one

But you should also look at what you are doing to produce the moisture in the home and get rid of it at source if possilble. With regards to the windows, I would not expect condensation on DG panes at any time of year - except maybe for the coldest winter nights and if the heating is on full, and even then just a little around the edges by the frame.

I have the same problem, except the condensation forms on my timber casement. I was contemplating the idea of having an air brick fitted. Will probably do this myself as I'm familar with knocking plaster away and removing bricks.

As both our rooms (mine and kevin_robson) are back bedrooms, maybe the condensation is accelerated due to hot water pipes. I know I have them under my floor. How about you? Do you think this could add to the problem?

Oh and last night, I slept with the window wide open :eek:. Surprisingly, I didn't wake up feeling chilly either.

Sponsored Links
Thanks All,
There isn't a lot of heating pipes in that room. It is the first room past the bathroom door though, so there is a good chance it is getting the moisture from there. Not a lot I can do about that - we have an extractor fan though it doesn't seem to be great to be fair.

I dont mind trying the other thing I mention, its just I didn't know where the air was going to go if my double glazing was sealed and not vented. I just wouldn't want to shell out for one of these, only to find I needed and air brick to make it work, but then an air brick would have solved my problem anyway. Hope that made some sense.

As regards insulation it is a bit bare there as it had been uncovered when the leak was repaired - next on my todo list is to chuck some more over it and see if it improves, but as you said even if it does improve where does it go then.
Sounds like I might just have to try the gadget and see.

If I do need to fit an airbrick or the device you mentioned, can this be done with minimal mess? Is it only one brick that needs to come out? Which room would it be best in? Could I fit one where a kitchen extractor fan was instead of starting again.

Thanks again

kevin_robson said:
We also use a de-humidifier, which in the past worked well, but it seems to be struggling to cope a bit at the moment
Up to a point they works but at the same time it's returning warm moisture back into the room :!:

Have a read about Condensation

I have a loft conversion and decided last month to put in 4 open/closed mesh vent on the ceiling level as I has nothing to lose, when the heating is off I open them at night time and what a difference, I get very little or hardy any condensation so far, still very little on the bottom of the window, I will now open the curtains sightly to see what will happen, my theory is that the warm moisture air is not trapped anymore therefore is moving out to my loft area via the soffit and ridge vents

masona said:
my theory is that the warm moisture air is not trapped anymore therefore is moving out to my loft area via the soffit and ridge vents

Might be worth checking the loft space to make sure the moist air is passing through the soffit/ridge vents & isn’t condensing up there instead!

Yes, done that ;) The open/vent is just under each ridge vent tiles approximately 250mm height distance, also done a smoke test to see if it does whoosh out.

Will keep an eye on it though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back