Condensation from toilet

B

benholme

Hi,
I am having a problem with water soaking the floor below our toilet.

We have a combined bathroom and toilet in the house we have just moved into. There is almost always condensation on the toilet cistern which soon drips onto the carpet. The carpet is now wet (so are the floorboards) and getting a bit mouldy - last night a small mushroom appeared!!

What can I do to get rid of the problem? I have thought about lino: The floor boards would then be dry but I would just have a puddle on the ground.

Looking forward, are there any toilet designs that either eliminate condensation or are designed so that all drips are directed into the bowl?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
benholme said:
Hi,
I am having a problem with water soaking the floor below our toilet.

We have a combined bathroom and toilet in the house we have just moved into. There is almost always condensation on the toilet cistern which soon drips onto the carpet. The carpet is now wet (so are the floorboards) and getting a bit mouldy - last night a small mushroom appeared!!

What can I do to get rid of the problem? I have thought about lino: The floor boards would then be dry but I would just have a puddle on the ground.

Looking forward, are there any toilet designs that either eliminate condensation or are designed so that all drips are directed into the bowl?

Thanks in advance

You have carpet in your bathroom? Do you live in Rotherham? ;) ;) ;) but seriously, this is unhygenic to start with.

Does the room have an extractor fan? Or an openable window? This will take a lot of moisture away from the room, preventing condensation. Failing that, you could fill the toilet cistern with warm water! :LOL:

the mushroom is a protected species...........majicus urinnus.you must inform English Naturist about it. :eek:

I fully accept that carpet is not the best option.

We dont have a fan but there are two opening windows. Even so, even first thing in the morning before the heating goes on there is still condensation on the cistern. Surely by that time the water inside should be close enough to the air temperature for condensation not to form.

What flooring should I use? I dont want just to have a puddle (of water) on the floor under the cistern.....

Also, do ceramic cisterns have a greater problem with condensation that plastic ones?

Sponsored Links
There was a toilet cistern that was plastic with a foam sandwitch :idea: not that thick, I think it was called the Dudley tri-shell.if you can still get them it may be better...also the conden. is happening overnight.does the water to the cistern come from the mains=cold..........have you got a loft tank that could feed it :?:

We have lino in our bathroom, with white rugs on it, you can see when they are dirty and throw them in the washer! Condensation forming all the time indicates there is constantly cold water coming into the cistern - check for an oveflow.

You may have a very damp house, in which case, a dehumidifier will help, on the landing / outside the bathroom. Also consider getting an extractor fan with humidistat (permenant supply) installed in the bathroom.

Ceramic cistern will make problem far worse.Cure is to line inside cistern with thin waterproof polystyrene foam (have used laminate flooring underlay)be carefull not to foul ball valve. You should be able to make a complete "jacket" from one piece then cut another peice for base.Firstly though remove water with sponge and dry cistern. place foam inside then seal up, you should only have one vertical seam to seal then seal all around bottom edge.It works!

I agree with Crafty. If the toilet tank is always sweating, then it's not warming up to room temperature, and the probable cause is that there's a steady stream of cold water into it, indicating that the fill valve isn't closing completely.

BenHolme:
Take the lid off the toilet tank and see if the water level in the tank is right at the top of the overflow spout located near the middle of the tank (above the flush valve). If so, then the problem is that water is running continuously into your toilet tank and down that overflow spout, and that's what's keeping the tank cold and the condensation forming all the time.

Another thing to consider after you deal with the filling problem is something called "toilet timing".

Think about it. Most people will use the toilet before using the tub or shower. After using the toilet, they flush, thereby refilling the tank with cold water. Then, they proceed to bathe, thereby filling the air in the bathroom with humidity. As a result, the toilet tank sweats profusely.

If you have another bathroom in your house, use one for it's toilet facilities and the other for it's tub or shower, thereby preventing a toilet tank full of cold water and a bathroom full of warm humid air being in the same place at the same time.

I have a friend who wrote his PhD thesis on toilet timing. What he does is shut the water off to the toilet before using it, then flushes normally. Then, after bathing, he uses a pail to pour WARM bath water into the toilet tank to refill it. Then opens the water shut off valve to the toilet again. That way, the toilet doesn't sweat because it doesn't get cold.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
I have a friend who wrote his PhD thesis on toilet timing. What he does is shut the water off to the toilet before using it, then flushes normally. Then, after bathing, he uses a pail to pour WARM bath water into the toilet tank to refill it. Then opens the water shut off valve to the toilet again. That way, the toilet doesn't sweat because it doesn't get cold.
In Spain & some EU counties the toilet is connected to the hot water supply preventing this :idea:

...and you can also buy mixing valves that will mix some hot water with the cold water destined for the tank to reduce condensation on the tank.

masona said:
In Spain & some EU counties the toilet is connected to the hot water supply preventing this :idea:

mrs breezer knows all about that, she is always having hot flushes :LOL:

Thanks for all the input so far.

The loo cistern is filled directly from the mains (I have no cold water tank) AND there is a leak. Within 3 hours of flushing, the cistern would fill and start leaking from the overflow. This is now fixed, the condensation is better but still a problem.

The carpet has now gone from the bathroom floor and I will be putting down lino this weekend. Should it be laid directly onto the floorboards of something like hardboard?

I do plan to replace the bathroom suite this year and will certainly look for an insulated cistern.

You don't want to lay sheet vinyl over floor boards because the pattern of the boards may start showing through the sheet vinyl.

I'd tack down a thin hardboard or underlayment to the floor boards and lay the sheet vinyl over that smoother surface.

PS:
The difference between fir plywood and fir underlayment is that plywood is allowed to have voids in the middle plies. Such voids can cause soft spots on floors, and that can result in problems like ceramic tiles cracking or whatever. Consequently, with fir underlayment, any voids in the middle plies are filled to prevent such soft spots.

Things are not always what they seem! I had this problem only to find that it was not condensation - it was a leak, and was easily solved.

Though the original post is very old, people will still google the problem, so I'm posting what I did.

5-minute, easy temporary solution:
- Place plastic sandwich/takeaway tray under cistern – large one if going away.
- Wipe cistern at night with cloth (if indeed condensation is the problem)

For diagnosis:
- Wipe the cistern dry at night and see if it cures the problem.
- Wrap kitchen paper or toilet paper around all pipes going into & out of the toilet, securing with sellotape. Check later for any dampness.

When I did the above diagnosis, I discovered that the former did not cure the problem, and the latter showed that I had a leak from where the overflow pipe exits the base of the cistern. All I needed to do was to replace the washer.

Solution was simple (and I am awful at DIY):
- Turn off water at mains.
- Flush toilet.
- Remove top of cistern to access the internals.
- Lie thin piece of wood or similar along cistern, raise ballcock and use garden wire to tie the two together. (This stops cistern from refilling when water is turned back on).
- Turn on mains water (simply because I didn't want it off for any longer than necessary, for convenience).
- Siphon water out of cistern (into bath or toilet). Or remove with sponge but that is a pain in the neck - like being a gynaecologist (no room), & sponge drips everywhere. Siphoning got 90% out within minutes.
- Mop up remainder of water inside cistern with sponge; then kitchen paper to make it completely dry.

Now to take apart the overflow piping:
- Unscrew plastic nuts that hold together overflow piping (underneath the cistern). (I had to do this to get piping inside cistern out).
- Unscrew plastic nut where plastic piping attaches to base of cistern.
- Now you can go into the cistern and remove the overflow pipe along with the washer
- Replace washer

I was advised to add silicone sealant to the washer. I didn't and it worked fine.

Reverse to assemble. Do not overtighten nuts – you don’t want to strip the thread. Better to be conservative and keep a close eye on the join when you fill the cistern.

If you aren't familiar with siphoning:
- There is no need to suck or put anything in your mouth! Use a piece of hosepipe or tubing. Immerse tube in water (e.g. in basin or bath) so tube fills with water. Put thumb over both ends; now place one end in cistern & other in the receptacle (bath/bucket/toilet basin etc).
- For the siphon to work, the receptacle end MUST be lower than the end in the cistern. I.e. the net flow of water must be downhill - water will travel uphill providing the overall movement is downhill.
- Remove thumbs.

An alternative to immersing tube in bath (to fill it) is:
- Place length of hose beneath tap and let water simply fall into it (no need to stuff it against tap). When water exits hose, seal that exit with thumb & wait for other (higher) end to overflow. When it does, seal that end too with thumb. You now have a tube filled with water, ready to act as a siphon.

-------------------------------------------------------

That’s what I did and it cured a major problem.

I put the plastic tub back beneath the cistern, and put kitchen paper back around the pipes, to avoid being cocky – there was no guarantee that I had solved them problem. The kitchen paper got damp (heart sank) but it turned out to be from the condensation on the cistern. I now wipe the cistern with a cloth before I go to bed - never had the problem since.

If you found this post useful, please say so – it will encourage me to write posts more often.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back