condensation on toilet cisterns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:!: evening all.
Can any of you people please give me advise on how to stop condensation forming and running off ceramic twyford toilet cisterns?
It is becoming a problem in the bathroom which is heated by a twin rad.
The downstairs cistern does the same but that room is not heated.
Any advise would be appreciated.
They are low level cisterns

Sponsored Links
Open the windows and make sure the bathroom and toilets are the same temperature as the outside, this will help most of the time, the other solution is to heat the water in the cistern.

Alternatively, re-plumb the cisterns so that they are not filled with cold mains water, but are filled from the tank in the loft or wherever.

An extractor fan helps to get steam out - as long as there's somewhere fresh dry air can be sucked in, such as under a door.

Install an immersion heater in the cistern? ;)

If you stick something cold in a humid room you will always get condensation. You must either get rid of some of that humidity or warm up the "something cold". Upping the heat in that room may help as the water vapour is less likely to condense out of warm air.

However, better ventilation will be more effective plus it can work when the heating isn't on.

Sponsored Links
Upping the heat in that room may help as the water vapour is less likely to condense out of warm air.

This will probably give the opposite effect as the warmer air can hold more water vapour, so when the air contacts the cold cistern the vapour will condense. It would be less of a problem if the toilet isn't flushed so often then the water in it can warm up.

Thank you all for your information. I think the only way out is to stop everyone in the house from using the water!
We have extractors in both loos/bathroom. The thing that really bothers us is that the Bathroom upstairs is heated, the toilet downstairs isnt heated - but the problems exists in both environments! Even with the windows open. Head scratching problem, or what!

the problem is less the heat of the room than the extremely cold water in the mains at the moment. Even if the ventilation is o.k., the cold water will cause moisture to condense out of air of an acceptably low level of humidity when it contacts the cistern. The only answer so far that is likely to work is to use a tank fed system....... of course, if the tank is not sadequately sized, youll get condensation on that..... Only joking, any tank now fitted needs a byelaw 30 kit, which includes insulation.
you could wrap the cistern in a blanket, which would look strange, but stop air movement around it, and thus stop condensation.... or you could just live with it, warmer days are coming.

oilman said:
Upping the heat in that room may help as the water vapour is less likely to condense out of warm air.

This will probably give the opposite effect as the warmer air can hold more water vapour, so when the air contacts the cold cistern the vapour will condense. It would be less of a problem if the toilet isn't flushed so often then the water in it can warm up.

Actually, because the warmer air can hold more water vapour, it will more readily hold onto a given amount of vapour.

However as the air in an unventilated bathroom is likely to become saturated (100% humidity) when using a shower, no matter what the air temperature, the air will have more vapour in it (kg water/cubic metre air).

The two of these would balance thus I beg to differ and say that we are both wrong and the temperature would have no effect! Although, in summer my bathroom never gets steamy (which would suggest less than 100% humidity) but in winter it gets VERY steamy (which would suggest 100% humidity), whether or not the window is open. The very humid air is more likely to deposit liquid water than the less humid air. Thus I could have been right the first time :p

They didn't have all these problems with outside toilets. What price progress?

Since the condensation is distilled water, put a drip tray under the cistern and collect it for battery top-ups etc.

Good evening gentlefolk Is there not something that could be painted /pasted on the inside of the cistern to prevent the coldness,such as the rubber paint that is put on the underside of marine craft?

This coating prevents much and does not slick into water either

I have heard from This thread that using silicone adhesive/sealant to attach polystyrene tiles will prevent the buildup - although I was not clear if they meant the inside or out - it is probably the outside.

However, I was thinking about this. I also have some problems with damp in the room - black mould. It is an internal bathroom, with an humidistat controlled extractor fan only - relatively new one. It also has a shower.

In my mind, the condensation left on the toilet will mean less humidity is still in the air. So if I was to prevent that build up on the cistern, it could exacerbate the problem with the mould. Essentially - the best solution here would be to better ventilate the room, but this is a little hard given where it is in the flat.

So - in conclusion, I think condensation on the toilet is a symptom of too much damp. Even if the water in the cistern is cold mains, I should deal with the damp staying there first. I am currently thinking of having a bowl of charcoal pieces - set out decoratively. The large surface area/absorbancy should work as a dehumidifier.

Hmm thats all well and good danny but we dont have any damp in our bathroom/toiler and shower area. The systern runs like a river in the colder weather but we dont have the same problem in the warmer weather, so I think I will test it when its next cold by dangling into the water tank of the systern, one of those small electric gadgets ,used to make hot water for a cup O tea the ones uses in cars :p pop it into the tank and slightly heat the water (not enough to make the loo smell you understand) just to make the water tepid....hmmm such is life ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back