Condensation Steel shed roof insulate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I'm hoping someone can help me, I have a shed 12 x 14ft to house my rabbits it has a steel profile roof and its causing me a few problems in regards to condensation. I woundered if i wedged between the rafters (touching the roof) 75mm of polystyrene boards would this stop the problem? (i've used foam filler to fill the gaps from teh outside) i'm also thinking about insulating the whole shed like this? Any help would be great,
Caroline x

Sponsored Links
Hi there Caroline

Does your shed have any ventilation at all? I wouldn't think adding the polystyrene boards would make much difference if there is no ventilation.. With the warmth of the rabbits and the bedding and the hay / straw there is alot of heat going on, I would drill a view holes near the top walls to allow the shed plenty of breathing space

hello thanks for your reply, it would say there is ventilation the windows aren't air tight as they are made so i can remove them also i go in there a fair bit and i have a stable style door which I have been leaving open to try to help but it has made no difference at all. I wouldn't of thought the rabbits wouldn't produce much heat to be honest if doesn't feel warmer then outside and the bottles are still freezing in there?

Sponsored Links
Caroline

If you place insulation under the steel sheet, you are likley to cause more condensation due to air gaps in the profile.
Ideally you will need a VCL ( vapour control layer ) under the insulation.
This is usually achieved on factory building by using two layers of steel sheet with insulation between

First of all is the condensation excessive that it really is a problem ?
Do you have any heating in there ~ if so, I trust it is not paraffin or calor gas ~ these cause more condensation than they are worth

If you need to insulate the roof you may be better doing this over the top i.e place insulation on existing roof and place new steel sheet over

David
www.dha-ltd.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back