1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Condensers have had it! Well, According to the DM they have!

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by craig51, 29 Dec 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malshep

malshep

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm not a tradesman but the regulations seem clear:

Do you have to have a condensing boiler?
    No. You should have a condensing boiler fitted if it is reasonable to do so
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/BuildingRegulations/DG_10030520

So what I don't understand is, if a new kitchen has to be demolished to fit a condensate pipe to an appropriate indoor waste, then why don't you (the installer) exercise your right to stipulate that the condensing requirement is "unreasonable" and fit a non-condensing type. Unless there is an inspector involved, I can't see that you have to justify your decision to anyone other than the customer.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Tibbot

Tibbot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The installer doesn't have a 'right'. The 'unreasonable' is determined by a points system. In the situation you describe the installer will next be required to look at externally run options, which brings us back to square one.

4. silverback18

silverback18

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My customers want a trouble free installation and that is what I give them, all my work is by recomendation, I do not advertise.

5. lawrance

lawrance

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Always the blaggers! Someone change the record :rolleyes:

6. Tibbot

Tibbot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    All customers want that. But you're suggesting that you do 'whatever it takes', so does that mean, (like another poster's example), Your customers would allow you to demolish a kitchen to run your line internally? Or you've never had to install a boiler on a different floor on the opposite side of a building to the stack with doorways, staircases tiled, laminate or stone floors in the way?

7. nogoodatfaultfinding

nogoodatfaultfinding

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    topics a bit of a joke really as i have seen in the last 2 weeks both external and internal FROZEN SOLID 4" stacks so what do we do then start runing condensate in 4" in the hope it does not freeze????

8. silverback18

silverback18

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Look, you do as you want with your installs and you choose your customers, if you want to run 22mm plastic pipe externally so it freezes, go ahead, no skin off my nose, I am simply pointing out to the public who read these forums that there is always a solution, you do not have to put up with your boiler stopping working as soon as the temperature gets cold, yes it may cost a bit more, but certainally not as much as the boiler repairs, call outs to plumbers to defrost the line and the inconvinience of being bloody cold

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. silverback18

silverback18

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You have seen an internal 4" soil stack frozen solid, don't make me laugh, that would not happen, if the stack is internal it is within the thermal envelope of the building, I don't believe you, are you saying that the inside of the house was minus 10, which it would need be to freeze straight away with the flush of a toilet, or the discharge of a bath

10. Sponsored Links
  11. doitall

doitall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I doubt a 4" soil pipe would freeze outside, unless there was a problem or blockage at the bottom.

12. silverback18

silverback18

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why does providing a full and good service to your customer make you a blagger

13. silverback18

silverback18

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I agree, I have never seen a frozen soil stack in my 27 years as an installer, unless as you say it is blocked, it would not happen

14. Tibbot

Tibbot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have not suggested incorrectly installing in this way. Only that I find your claim that you succeed, in all cases, at finding an internal route at your customer's willing and unlimited expense difficult to believe.

15. doitall

doitall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Problem is Silverback18, your clients like ourselves are that bit more upmarket, only a small few better installers get in with the in crowd.

As you rightly say they want a quality job that works, and cost is a secondary consideration. You fit a Ravenheap in there £5mill house and they'll drop you in the blink of an eye.

16. silverback18

silverback18

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Using larger pipes is not expensive, having a bit of an awkward run to take the route internally is not that expensive, if required insulating the pipe with trace heating is not that expensive.

17. Tibbot

Tibbot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I totally agree with using larger pipes & insulation externally and with awkward internal runs.

I disagree with unfeasible or impossible internal runs.

As for trace heating. I'd be f***** if I'll introduce another needless piece of sh*t to breakdown into the deal. Rather let someone else have the job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.