Confused: 2 flat roof quotes with different insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are looking to replace a flat roof approx 15m2 in size with EPDM. There is no insulation board above the joists at present but I suspect there may be some wool between the joists below.

We've had 2 quotes:

1. Local company want to place 75mm insulation board+deck combined over joists (warm roof ?)

2. Mossrid want to completely fill inbetween the 8" joists with Rockwool and not use any board on top (cold roof ?)

The latter are a lot cheaper but I'm concerned about the approach. I thought cold roof needed ventilating between the joists although I can't see any ventilation around it currently. They will do the over boarding for a price but say it's not strictly necessary but I'm not so sure. Also, is it a possibility to have both Rockwool and the board ? The room is quite cold in winter !

Many thanks,

Andy.

Sponsored Links
If you were to have both then the roof would probably sweat and cause condensation as the heat would be trapped netween the surfaces. Sound to me that the 2nd quote seems the better choice as you will be keeping the heat in instead of the roof trying to heat the building.

Sponsored Links
Daddy said:
I thought cold roof needed ventilating between the joists although I can't see any ventilation around it currently.
Flat roof should have ventilation such as cross flow vent from joists to joists and soffit vents etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back