Confused about qualifications!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a query for all the "proper" sparks please.
I'm considering a change of career but need a bit of assistance from the folks in the know. I last worked as a sparky about 20 years ago, having done a sort of "apprenticeship" (not JIB or anything official), but I did gain both my C & G 236 Parts 1 and 2 (which at the time made me an "approved electrician" I was told by my college tutor.
I then left the industry (fed up of redundancies from small firms!) although I've always kept my hand in, doing small jobs for people and last year did all the electrics in my new extension. However, since Part P, I haven't done a lot due to a fear of prison!!!
I have just been back to college and passed my 2381 16th Edition cert, but with all the changes over the years, am I still able to call myself an electrician? Could I set up by myself if I wanted to?
Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would advise a phone call to NIC/EIC to see if you can enroll with them.

You shouldnt have a problem. ;)

That's not what they told me. As long as I can demonstrate a full understanding to the examiner's satisfaction, that is sufficient.

Sponsored Links
As far as I know, the only self cert scheme that requires 2391 is the one run by napit, the other 4 just require a (modern-ish??) 2381 and sufficent competance on the day

securespark said:
That's not what they told me. As long as I can demonstrate a full understanding to the examiner's satisfaction, that is sufficient.

That's also my understanding.

As far as I'm concerned 236 1+2 were the bees knees.Anything since has been watered down to enable the C+G to make more money by necessitating the need for more courses!!! :evil:

ricicle said:
As far as I'm concerned 236 1+2 were the bees knees.Anything since has been watered down to enable the C+G to make more money by necessitating the need for more courses!!! :evil:

Yay! I did the 236 1&2.

IMO our apprentices do an easier course, which is more focussed on H&S than electrical installation. Not sure of the course number off hand.

When I did mine we couldn't count that high so it was called 236A B&C :LOL:

When I enrolled at college to do my 16th Ed last year, the lecturer asked what C&G quals I had. When I told him I had 236 Pts 1&2, his exact words were "Ah! A proper *!%£ing qualification, not this modern s**t they give out nowadays!" Says it all really!
I assume that I can still call myself an electrician then?
Is the 2391 essential or can you get along without it at all for a while?
I did enquire about doing the course, but was told that unless I am a "working spark" (which I'm not at the moment), there would be little point as I would get no practical experience (and wouldn't have the expensive equipment either!).

SparkyUK said:
HI,
have a look on the J.I.B website for requirements/definitions of being an electrician, improver etc.

www.jib.org.uk

;)

WTF do they not mention the 236 anymore?
I understood from a while back now that attaining the 236 pt2 (not 2360)was the equivalent of the NVQ level 3 and I'm sure thats what it used to say on the JIB site!!

I did a BTEC Diploma in Food Technology in the early 80's.

I went back to the head of Dept. when I got my new job to ask him to verify my qualification levels.

We got talking, and he said that we I did my course, it was Food Tech. A-Z.

Now, he said, the equivalent course is A-C but only parts of each section...

And they say standards are not dropping. Lobbocks!!

ricicle said:
I understood from a while back now that attaining the 236 pt2 (not 2360)was the equivalent of the NVQ level 3 and I'm sure thats what it used to say on the JIB site!!

Must satisfy the following three conditions:

1) Must have been a registered apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.

2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - see Note 1.

3) Must be 21 years of age (which requirement may be waived if the applicant has obtained a pass in the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course or approved equivalent).

Note 1:

If the applicant meets the other two criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:

a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate (or approved equivalent).

b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians' Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.

Duties

Must be able to carry out electrical installation work efficiently in accordance with the National Working Rules for the Electrical Contracting Industry, the current IEE Regulations for Electrical Installations, and the Construction Industry Safety Regulations.

:cool:

Pensdown said:
ricicle said:

Must satisfy the following three conditions:

1) Must have been a registered apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.

2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - see Note 1.

3) Must be 21 years of age (which requirement may be waived if the applicant has obtained a pass in the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course or approved equivalent).

Note 1:

If the applicant meets the other two criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:

a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate (or approved equivalent).

b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians' Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.

Duties

Must be able to carry out electrical installation work efficiently in accordance with the National Working Rules for the Electrical Contracting Industry, the current IEE Regulations for Electrical Installations, and the Construction Industry Safety Regulations.

:cool:

Still no mention of 236!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back