Connecting a toilet waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I couldn't find a previous answer that directly answers my question....

I am fitting a new Toilet. It is an Imperial close coupled model (Westminster). The waste outlet from the toilet faces the back wall of the bathroom. The waste pipe from the stack pipe is horizontal, about an inch off the floor and very near the back wall at 90 degrees to the toilet outlet to the left. The waste pipe is lower than the toilet outlet. Please see last three photos in my album.

My question is what is the best connection to use. I don't want to fit a flexi-pipe type because I want a smooth interior surface to ensure a good flow. I assume I need a 90 degree connection down then a 90 degree connection to the left with a downward slope on it. What are the alternatives. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks. Regards, Mark.

Sponsored Links
Having got a stiff neck looking at the middle picture, and against what you've said, I'd fit a bent flexi like the Multikwik MKC2B90:

The interior will soon smooth over nicely over time. Just like modeling clay. :evil:

Charnwood,

Thanks very much for your advise - and sorry about your stiff neck :D .

I was concerned about the interior surface but I guess it will 'fill in' (yuk). This certainly is the simplest option, but I was put off by other threads.

Out of interest why was my idea of a downward 90 degree bend from the toilet followed by a 90 degree to the left connection to my fixed horizontal pipe to the stack not work?

Regards,

Mark

It would work, but I'm not a fan of multiple sharp 90° bends on soil - unless absolutely necessary. One of your isn't. The flexi would allow a smoother curve from the pan to the soil pipe.

If you are dead set against a flexi, how about a 90° pan conn from the pan set at 45° then a 45° pan conn into your soil? For that you might have to cut the soil pipe back a bit, though.

You will be boxing the pipework in, won't you?

Sponsored Links
I hate flexis.

Soil bends are available in a variety of angles down to about 10 degrees or so. I would fit whatever one gets the end of the soil pipe looking straight at the pan outlet, and a short bit of soil pipe for a 90 degree pan connector straight onto the back of the pan. An accurate scale drawing may help you get the height and angle exactly right by trimming or extending the existing pipe as necessary.

Two 90s would do the job, but, taking into account the length of the sockets, I doubt there's really enough room for them.

Or consider changing the height of the existing soil pipe entry into the room.

Near horizontal flexis can sag a bit under their own weight, allowing effluent to pool, making them even more prone to blockages than they naturally are.

Did i say I hate flexis?

Thanks Tickly T and again Charnwood,

I would like to try rigid pipework for reasons previously stated but I can't get them to fit I will go for the flexi. I will be boxing in as mentioned and I could ensure the pipe is supported to ensure it doesn't sag. I will investigate the various angles of rigid pipe available but I am aware that space is tight. I cannot change the height of the entry into the room. That's all boxed in previously - too much hassle to change now. Tickly T, any chance of another explanation of my options. I am having difficultly visualizing. Attach a drawing if possible.

Where would the best place to buy pipework?

Regards,

Mark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back