Connecting dvd player to pc monitor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to connect a standard DVD player to PC monitor. What kind of adapter do I need and where can I get it? Thanks. :?:

Sponsored Links
It takes a lot of work to convert the video signals from your DVD player to the RGB signals your monitor needs.

It'd probably be easier to get a cheap TV or a cheap DVD drive for your computer?

Not necessarily...

1) A surprising number of DVD players in the UK have a high-definition VGA output mode, enabled by "secret" menus. It is unlikely this would be the case in the US, as it is done over the SCART socket, which you don't have on US-model DVD players. But I know there are models that sell in the US that are international models WITH this connector (the KiSS range, for example).

2) There are DVD players available with a DVI output. This is a digital monitor connection that is only really common on TFT screens, but if you have a DVI monitor, you could use one of these.

3) The last, easiest, and possibly cheapest solution is to buy a TV adaptor for your monitor. These have SVHS and Composite video inputs, a TV tuner and a VGA connector to hook up to your monitor. My bro uses one of these with a 19" Sony panel and it looks great.

Oh, definitely easier. Thing is, I do have a dvd drive. As far as getting a tv, I don't wanna do that, as a principle. I've been without one for about 6 years now and like it better that way actually.

Sponsored Links
Option #3 sounds like what I need. What's this adapter called anyway, what brand? Where do you think I could order one and how much did your bro shell out for his? Thanks.

His cost £75, about $110 in US I think. Might be cheaper in the US.

Option 4) Of course, you could use a cheapo TV tuner card in your PC: these have video ins but the quality won't be as good as the separate adaptor, and you need to have the PC switched on and booted up to use it (not good if you have a noisy PC).

Just found this. That would do the trick, very cheap too. And it's compatible with both NTSC and PAL so if you move abroad it will still work.

Back