Connecting two one gang 2 way dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a landing a upstairs landing light connected to two two-way switches. One downstairs and one upstairs.

I replaced both the switches with two dimmers. If I switch on the light using downstairs dimmer, I can switch it off only using that dimmer. I can't switch it off using upstairs dimmer.

I thought two way dimmer is same as a two way switch. Am I wrong? Is it possible to connect two, two-way dimmers to gether?

Sponsored Links
Hi, you cannot have 2 2-way dimmers working together to control one light.

RMS

How is the slave different from the 2-way dimmer - is it just a 1-way dimmer or is it different to this too?

Also, can the slave turn the light on and off and dim it or can it only act as a dimmer when the master turns the light on?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The master does the on/off, the dimming etc, either in response to you poking at it with your finger, or in response to control signals from the slave when you poke at that....

Do they only make slaves that are either touch sensitive or controlled with remotes?

aidan1979 said:
Do they only make slaves that are either touch sensitive or controlled with remotes?
whats wrong with that? is there a particular reason you wanted a twisty knob? I think the touchy thing is a good idea. think about it - when your sit in bed watching tv and want to dim the lights, you can simply press the button on your TV or sky remotes and it will dim the lights! very easy to use and setup, i have one.

Crafty, i have some these touch dim remote light switches in my house and i have a seperate remote for them.

How did you get them to work from your tv or sky remote?

RMS

ban-all-shads,

can you elarborate on that answer please?

But when abbreviated it has a much friendlier and less aggressive mood, despite that being what it stands for....

No, honestly, it really is a well-established abbreviation that does not have the same overtones as saying it in full.

What I meant was read the instructions - it will tell you how to teach the dimmer to recognise one of the signals from a TV remote..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back