Connecting up new CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Meter tails on aunties installation are 10mm T&E straight from meter to old style fuse board. Would she have to pay to have new meter tails fitted into meter if she had electrician install the new tails 1st?

Sponsored Links
Depends who your supplier is,but the main fuse to the meter, tails are not your aunts responsibility.

Agreed, tails from service head to meter belong to the network, but from meter to CU belong to the consumer (aunt) which I think is what he was asking about.

They may or may not charge, best to ask. If it was me I would fit a new 100A DP switch with 25mm tails in and out and ask the supplier to arrange for them to be connected. This will necessitate opening and resealing the seals on both fuse and meter so you will have to ask the supplier (you do not need to contact the DNO yourself, write to the address on your aunt's electricity bill as they are responsible for liaising with the various companies involved. I would recommend a brief letter, not a phone call to the "Customer service Centre" in Bangalore)

Her meter is really old, says summit bout 40A, can't she ask to have new meter fitted then get them to connect up new tails then?

Sponsored Links
They don't usually bother spending money on new meters unless there are signs the old one needs changing.

If she has plenty of electric heaters and is overloading it, she could call them and say it seems to be getting hot or making a squeaking noise, and is a very old one.

If she has a local electrician doing the new installation he will probably know how to get round the suppliers.

Just re-read the original post & I agree with you John that New2 is talking about post meter tails, but I am just wondering what he means by "old style fuse board". Has it even got a C.U.? The electrician may condem the whole instalation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back