Conservatory insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a conservatory (approx. 3m x 3m) with a 600mm cavity dwarf wall. I will be running power cables along the cavity. The windows are 24mm double glazing and the roof is triple wall polycarbonate.
Is there any benefit to using insulation between the two walls since I assume most of the heat will be lost through the roof? I have not put any insulation in the concrete floor. If insulation is needed what type would you recommend and roughly how much would it cost? I have a tight budget.

Sponsored Links
Sickboy said:
If insulation is needed what type would you recommend and roughly how much would it cost? I have a tight budget.
Might as well put them in as they don't cost a lot. 50mm cavity wall insulation slab is design for this. Available from Wickes etc..

There are some other posts around here that indicate you shouldn't run unprotected power cables through the cavity as they could be attacked by the chemicals leaching from the brickwork. Have a look.

Sponsored Links
You say the cable may be attacked by chemicals leaching from the brickwork but all the posts only talk about chemicals from the insulation breaking down. If I did not use insulation, does the problem go away (assuming no-one else puts insulation in, in the future)? The wall is only 600mm high and most of the heat will be lost through the polycarbonate roof so maybe using insulation will create more problems than it solves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back