Conservatory planning permission when > 15% volume

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need planning permission for a conservatory which is less than 30m2 in floor area, but greater than 15% of the volume of my existing house.

The conservatory will be separated from the existing house by external doors so does not constitute an extension.

The house is in wokingham/berks but I can't find anything clear on their website.

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
give the planning office a ring, different rules for different councils, areas houses. see the thread about 20 topics down on the same subject for more info

Any building which has been which is more than 10 c/m3 and within 5m of your house then it's treated as an extensions but do check with the BCO as mentioned above.

The OP seems to be confusing building control (the 30m2 figure) and planning control (the 15% figure)

Planning Control policy (in terms of size constraints) and Permitted Development rights are the same for every council in England and are set by government.

Permitted Development (ie 'pre approved') allows you to build within certain constraints without a formal application. It allow you to build up to 70m3 on a detached or semi, or 50m3 on a terraced house. This generally applies at ground floor level, so you can build up to boundaries for single storey extensions.

So unless Permitted Development rights have been removed (generally new build estates, conservation areas) you can build a typical conservatory up to the volumes stated above.

If your conservatory goes above any permitted development criteria, then a full planning application is required

Sponsored Links
^woody^ said:
So unless Permitted Development rights have been removed (generally new build estates, conservation areas) you can build a typical conservatory up to the volumes stated above.
But do check with the Council that your Permitted Development rights still stand as mine were withdrawn without any prior notice & they didn't even tell me after they’d done it! It didn’t matter in the end but I’ve never been entirely convinced they followed correct procedure but I don’t really know what that would be!

but houses in a conservation area or area of outstanding beauty (not always where you think they are either) have a reduced permitted development. SOme councils will include a garage built at the same time as the original house as part of the permitted development, others interpret the rules differently, hence why its different dependent on your councils interpretation. Not right, but thats the way it is!

Thanks guys. My plans put me above the 15% figure but below 70m3. From what I've read I can use the greater of these figures for my calculations, so I should be okay in that respect.

I've read through the PDR's at http://www.planning-applications.co.uk/domesticpd1.htm

and my plans just about squeze through - I think I'll let the Lawful Development Certficate tell me for sure.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back