Conservatory Roof Panel Slipping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the roof panels in my conservatory has slipped down, leaving an inch gap along the top of the roof. Is it possible to cut off all the silicone that's holding it to the external plastic rim (between panels), push it back up and re-seal it? I don't want the already big gap to become worse! Any advice would be appreciated.
Best regards
Nick

Sponsored Links
if fitted correctly,there shouldn't be any silicone on the roof.the caps on the glazing bars should be tight enough down on the sheets to hold them in place.over a period of time the silicone splits and cracks,and the problem starts again,there should also be a 10mm gap between the sheets and the mid point of the glazing bars,this is to allow water to drain away should it get past the glazing bar caps.how old is the roof ? are the sheets the right thickness for the glazing bars ? hope this helps.

Thanks for your comment bendylow. I cannot see any silicone on the exterior, just guessed that was what created the watertight seal? It feels rock solid, and will not simply slide back up using brute force. I cannot understand how this has happened, as all the other panels are exactly where they should be. The conservatory is less than 5 years old, but was installed by the previous owner.

Should I be looking for the caps on the glazing bars then, try and unlock them, reposition the roofing sheet, and lock them again? If so, where are they typically located, and do I need a particular tool to unlock and lock them again?

Many thanks once again for your help.

Best regards
Nick

Do you have one of these type of glazing bar?
capping.gif

or one of these push down plastic type glazing bar?
pic10.gif

Sponsored Links
Hi masona,

Based purely on how they look, I think we have the push down plastic type glazing bar. Will having these make it easier to solve my slipping problem?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards
Nick

It could be the top plastic cover maybe loose, can tap it down gently with a block of wood & mallet or it could be a wrong size rubber sealant or worn. However prise a blunt tool into the gap between the top and bottom of the glazing bar and lift it up and remove completely then use something like stick-on glazing tape on the bottom runner then refit the sheeting etc.
Glazing tape available from most DG shop.

A photo will tell me more.

Thanks again masona, I think your suggestion is probably my solution. Before I tackle it, please find pictures below of the problem:

Top of roof showing gaffer tape covering gap

12072006.jpg

Bottom of roof showing how much this has slipped down V's next roof panel

12072006001.jpg

Should I try and remove these glazing bars with a blunt tool then?

Best regards
Nick

Right where the gutter is, take the end cap of the glazing bar and take another picture if you can at the end section of the glazing bar

Hi masona, I cannot get the end cap off right now, but here's a close up:

12072006005.jpg

and

12072006004.jpg

Hope these camera phone pictures are clear enough

Thanks again for your help

Best regards

Nick

Sorry to be a pain, the picture too big to see closely, the glazing appears to be metal now, am'I right? The end cap, just prise it carefully with a small screwdriver unless it's screw which need to be undone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back