Consumer Unit Earthing acceptable or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The picture shows the earthing of my consumer unit. There are 7 strands of bare wire approx 1 mm diameter each. I guess this is not an acceptable earthing method. How can I upgrade that? Do I just use 16mm squared green/yellow? Do I just bolt the new earth lead to that springy strip (where the individual wires are now). Or do I need to clamp it around the incoming metal sheath? All help appreciated. Steve.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304/steve1811uk/Electrics/Consumerunitearthing.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's certainly quite dodgy. I'd recommend phoning your electrical supplier to see about them upgrading this for you.

It looks to me like it may be an uninsulated 10.0mm²

It is not desperately unsafe, but it might be a good idea to replace it with 16.0mm² earth wire.

To properly terminate it to the existing earth terminal you should use a copper tube lug crimped onto the end of the cable, and connect it using the existing bolt.
Looking at your picture you will probably need a CT16-10 lug.

Do not fit an earth clamp onto the sheath of the incomming cable. If you do there is a risk of crushing the cable, and the subsequent danger of it exploding.

(To fit the lug to the cable you will need a pair of heavy duty crimpers, which most electrical wholesalers will hire for around £5 a day, but if you just have one lug to do there and then they may let you borrow them for free ;) )

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the brilliant help you've just given me. Please have a look at my other two recent posts to see if you can help there too. Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back