consumer unit humming after Low Voltage lighting with dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just installed Low Voltage downlights into my living room and hall way ceiling with dimmable transformers and dimmer switch. The total lght wattage for each room is 250W (the max for each of the dimmer switches)

I get an irritating humming noise coming from the consumer unit, which increases in loudness when the lights are dimmed low.

Is this normal? if not, how do I get rid of this noise?

many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Humming noise is usually normal from the dimmer switches (depends on rating and make)

I can only presume that the MCB protecting the lighting circuit maybe faulty, Although with you saying that the dimmer switches are upto there max rating this may also be causing it........either try uprating the dimmers to 400W. If problem persists try replacing MCB....

Maybe one of the "older" sparks (sorry guys) has come across this before.

Thanks iL78 for your comment

however, I still get the humming noise when I turn just the hallway dimmer to half-dim ( with the living room lights off). That dimmer switch (250W) is only controlling a total of 175W LV lights.

I have only ever come across this problem of noisey dimmer switches once before, so it may be best to wait and get a 3rd opinion.

We swapped dimmer switches for one of and identical brand from another room, it still hummed, the more the light was dimmed the louder the dimmer hummed, changed brand of dimmer, no hum at all.

Sponsored Links
Had the same meself breezer, in my experience its the cheaper option that makes the most noise. Get what you pay for again ?

It is not the dimmer switch that humms....but rather the consumer unit.

Think you need to establish whereabouts the humm is coming from (ie, MCB, RCD, Main Switch etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back