Consumer unit/meter height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
is there a minimal height to what your consumer unit and meter (my own coin meter) can go, or is there no restriction?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's an existing installation you can mount them where you like

If it's a new build* then they should be within the 450-1200 zone.

*I understand the definition of a new build (for residential use) is a building project that has been deemed by Customs and Excise to be zero VAT Rated.

Pensdown said:

*I understand the definition of a new build (for residential use) is a building project that has been deemed by Customs and Excise to be zero VAT Rated.

Thanks Pensdown

Pensdown said:

Is there a minimum height for electrics in a garage ? Something to do with being above the level of any petrol fumes from leaking tanks / cans ?

Or was that just common sense and not part of the regs.

Sponsored Links
On EAL course we were told the height of the cu didn't come under part m, only switches and sockets in habitable rooms on domestic new builds. Though an isolation switch should be provided at an accessable height. I don't know if anyone really knows the answer to this one.

gangman said:
On EAL course we were told the height of the cu didn't come under part m, only switches and sockets in habitable rooms on domestic new builds. Though an isolation switch should be provided at an accessable height. I don't know if anyone really knows the answer to this one.

I was just thinking that if your meter/ consumer were low it may be a danger for small children (touching etc)

bernardgreen said:
Is there a minimum height for electrics in a garage ? Something to do with being above the level of any petrol fumes from leaking tanks / cans ?

Or was that just common sense and not part of the regs.

Bernard, I'm not aware of any. I know for attached garages the floor must be x mm below the house DPC to allow for spills and leaks but unless you're storing or transferring fuel it's business as usual

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back