Controlling 2 light fixtures with one on/off switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want add a light fixture that will be controlled by an existing switch that is currently for another light. In other words I want the one existing switch to control both lights, the one that is installed and another that I want to add. Any help in wiring this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This is pretty simple. All you need to do is run a cable from the existing ceiling rose to the proposed new one. On existing rose connect live to SW (if not labelled this is the wire wich the switch turns on and off, and can be found using a phase tester) connect neutral to the other neutrals and repeat on new rose. Ensure you tighten all connections fully.

Br, its an American poster, they will not understand what you mean by live, and even if they do they next question will be what guage wire. Please stay with us you are welcome, but you will also learn over time that 99% of americans will post & go, never to return

Well "live" and "hot" are pretty universal terms, we use them in the US. But "ceiling rose" is a tricky one. I've seen diagrams and it seems that they're a little easier to wire than the typical American light fixture, what with those handy little spare terminals built right in.

Anyway for a 20A breaker we'll typically use 12AWG wire (4mm^2) and for a 15A breaker we'll use 14AWG (2.5mm^2).

But you're right that it's a simple change. We'd use 2 wire nuts to connect the hot and neutral from the existing lamp to the new one. Any decent DIY book should have diagrams.

Sponsored Links
the other thing is we (this side of the pond) should only give "general advice" to Americans, you can give more acurate advice because you are in America, and know more about the wiring codes.

as you said ""ceiling rose" is a ticky one" BR assumed they would know what he is refeing to but as you have just confimed i think not. Also I know for a fact that you do not have ring mains and the 3 plate lighting sytem that we do, so when replying to your American cousins, we (this side of the pond) should be careful

Back