convert fcu to double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have 3 fcu's (1 living room, 1 hall, 1 kitchen) that had storage heaters hooked up to them. These storage heaters have been removed, and gas central heating is being installed. The 3 fcus for the storage heaters went into their own fuse box (1 fuse per heater) next to the consumer unit.

Since these 3 fcu's are no longer needed, is it possible to replace the fcu with a single socket or a double socket, so I can at least get use out of them?

Sponsored Links
Yes, but you need to reconnect them into your CU, which is notifiable.

...otherwise they will only come on at night. It can be an economical way to run dishwashers, tumble driers and washing machines, but I don't suppose they're in the right place.

Yes, but you need to reconnect them into your CU, which is notifiable.

I'm not sure what you mean by "notifiable" ? Is it to let my local council know and have a certificate sign off for reconnecting to the CU?

...otherwise they will only come on at night. It can be an economical way to run dishwashers, tumble driers and washing machines, but I don't suppose they're in the right place.

Is there a way to tell if there's a timer on that fuse box? I can't remember exactly, but I'm thinking the timer was on the storage heaters?

Sponsored Links
The timer will probably be on the meter. It probably shuts off power to your second fusebox/consumer unit during the day. There will be a reference to the type of service on your electricity bill and the suppplier's website, or you could sit up and watch the meter one night, or connect a radio or something to an FCU so you hear when it comes on.

The point of storage heaters is that they use cheap electricity during the night when there is low demand, but coal and nuclear stations are still running.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back