convert utility room to kitchen

1 Oct 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm wanting to convert a 2year old utility room at the rear of my garage extension into a kitchen. It is joined to the side of the house & accessed from my existing kitchen,is approx. 6.25sq.m.& 2.5m high, the walls are brick, the 2 outer walls single skin,dividing wall to garage single skin, the other is house wall(double skin). The roof void is insulated, there is an opening window on 1 outer wall 1.5m wide x 1.0m high, floor is concrete.Drainage is in place as I have washer already in there. It will be solely for cooking not an eating area.
I've been told I need building regs., but as I'm not doing any structural work is this so & why?
Any helpful comments much appreciated! :)
Sponsored Links

You would need building regs as you're changing a non-habitable area into a habitable one. You would need to achieve the current regulations for Part L: Conservation of fuel and power. The government are keen on us all keeping in as much heat as possible, so we have to make sure the extensions/alterations we do are in line with the regulations.

To do this you would need to line the utility room with a thermal liner or add a cavity using another skin of block to the internal face to achieve a U-Value of 0.35 W/m2K.

Speaking to block or thermal liner companies would help to find out how much space this would take up.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links