Converting 9x12v downlights from 1x500w transformer to GU10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got 9 x 50w 12v downlights running off a 500w transformer. All 9 wires go directly to the transformer. What's the best way to join them all together so I can convert the fittings to 240v GU10?

Sponsored Links
Downstairs, the transformer is located in a utility room. All the lights are in the same room and run off the same switch.

The obvious answer is junction boxes but there is probably a better way.

change all the fittings.

cable may not be rated for mains, and lamps may not fit (but dont quote me on that, as i am tired)

Sponsored Links
The cables are all round 3 core, the question was, as they are all currently in a connector strip in the transformer, do I just join them all together with junction boxes when I remove the transformer, or is there a better way.

there isnt really an easy way to join 9 cables,would be far better to re wire and loop in and out of each lamp,but it looks like a job for mr jb

I don't want to leave them as LV as the transformer is a toroidal and buzzes when dimmed as the dimmers are the wrong type. I also want to replace the lamps with low energy ones. 450W is a lot of lighting above the kitchen island worktop!

I could loop in and out as the lights are arranged in a 3 x 3 grid about 1m apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back