Converting window opening to door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right section but here goes:

Our dining room has a large window looking out onto the rear garden. We want to remove this window and replace it with upvc french doors.

The door wont be as wide as the window, but I want to fit small windows of the same height as existing either side of the door to plug the gap.

Therefore I shouldnt need any brickwork?

I take it its just a case of removing the window, cutting out the brickwork under the window opening to fit the door, but what next?

Obviously this would cut through a cavity wall, so how would this be re-sealed before the door is installed?

Sponsored Links
Yes you’ve got it! But the windows must comply with current regs. & have either a FENSA or BC certificate of compliance & BC may be want to inspect to make sure your doing it properly; ring your local Council to find out.

Use cavity closers on the cavity, a DP membrane on the sill (if neccessary) , plasterboard over the reveals & finish plaster the reveals after installation. Not going to go into detail here, use the search engine & read the archive posts as its been covered many times before, quiet recently by me but also by many others!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back