Cooker and New Hob Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently refitted our kitchen, the existing kitchen had a electric oven and gas hob, we now have the same oven and a new ceramic hob. I am wondering if I can use the existing wiring/sockets...

There is a 6mm cable feeding a cooker switch which then feeds the connection plug socket behind the old oven, which is only 2980W. Next to the cooker switch is a spur to the old connection point for the old hob(behind the oven too), which is just standard ring main cable.

The new hob is 6kw.

What I am thinking is that I can just plug the oven into the old hob connection. Or would that overload it? And then plug the new hob into the oven socket. The cooker/hob cabling is on its own fuse of course.

Sponsored Links
2.5 mm T&E is not big enough for a 6KW hob & in adding it to your exsisting 3KW oven you are getting to the limit of the 6mm cable, personally I would do it with 10mm, but it is allowed, depending on the length of the run from the consumer unit & how it is routed, in 6mm because of diversity(not having the max load continually).

jj4091 said:
2.5 mm T&E is not big enough for a 6KW hob & in adding it to your exsisting 3KW oven you are getting to the limit of the 6mm cable, personally I would do it with 10mm, but it is allowed, depending on the length of the run from the consumer unit & how it is routed, in 6mm because of diversity(not having the max load continually).

Thanks, sorry, so I cannot run the oven on the other 2.5mm and put the hob through the 6mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back