Cooker Cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
i've just purchased a built in single oven and hob to replace my free standing,the oven came with plug attached,but what i want to do if ok is. The main cabling is 10mm from a 32A fuse trip type to the cooker switch,can i run 6mm cable from the switch to a cooker outlet then rather than try to put both cables in the same outlet can i run 6mm cable from one outlet to another so i have two outlets one for my cooker one for my hob the ratings are cooker 2250W-2400W Hob 7000W,also from my previous statement can i just discard the plug on oven and run 6mm cable to outlet. cheers for any help sorry about the essay first time on here. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
First off, it is good practice to stick to the same size cable throughout a circuit just incase someone who isn't very thorough notices 10mm² cable at the CU and just upgrades the fuse/MCB. But, if you only have 6mm² cable handy and wish to use that then it is still adequately protected and a little note at the CU warning of it's use should be more than sufficient.

Secondly, you can not just cut the plug off the oven and wire that in with the hob. The oven may only be wired in 1.5/2.5mm² cable which isn't suitable for 32A protection and without the plugtop fuse it has no protection against overload etc. Instead of the second cooker outlet you should fit 6/10mm² cable to a 13A fused spur, then from the load terminals take that to a single switchless socket and plug the cooker in there another plus side with this method is that you won't void the warranty by removing the plug..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back