Cooker Connection

R

ryanj

I've recently bought a Wrighton range cooker and hob. I am now looking to connect it up.

The instruction booklet states it must be protected by a 32amp protective device. So I have installed a 32amp circuit breaker and ran 10mm2 (for future expansion) cable.

I now need to decide how to connect it up.

The hob requires connection via a cooker connect unit, so that's easy enough.

But what about the oven? Can I simply run a piece of cable from the cooker connection unit to a fused connection unit, and from there onto the hob?

(The oven is <13a, and the instructions state it may be installed via plug+socket, but I dislike that idea.)

Sponsored Links
what is the wattage of the seperate parts
once we know this we will be able to advise in more detail

you dont seem to have mentioned a cooker control unit anywhere

normal cooker wiring is mcb in cu---cooker control unit---cooker connection unit---cooker

you can connect from the output side of the cooker control unit to a fcu using 6mm or 10mm (but 2 10mm cables is likely to be hard to terminate) to a fcu provided the total load of the oven and hob is still less than 32A

ryanj said:
The hob requires connection via a cooker connect unit, so that's easy enough.

Plug

You missed this bit.

Ry

Plugs right. We could do with knowing the ratings of each component.

yes he mentioed a cooker connection unit
but never a cooker control unit

Sponsored Links
Okay!

The oven is 2500watt, and the instructions say it may be connected via a 13amp plug.

While the hob is 5000watt.

a 32A mcb is a bit undersized for that combination so you have a few options

1:stick with the 32A mcb and fuse down the oven (with a fcu) this is allowed because of the diversity rules but is not something i would advise

2:put the oven on the ring this is ok provided you don't have too many other high current devices on the ring

3: put the oven on its own 16A cuircuit from the CU (if you do this i would adivse useing 6mm for the oven cuircuit in case someone wants a dual oven later)

4: use a 40A breaker at the main CU and use a small CU instead of a cooker control unit this will provide the needed isolation and breakering down but will look pretty ****

So the hob still needs to be connected to its own circuit even if the cooker isn't. In case you connect the hob separately, use a 30 or 32 amp protective device wired back to the CU. In fact then, you might as well just use a 40 amp protective device and wire the cooker into the same circuit.

thing is the hob instructions specifically said it should be on a 32A breaker

so if using a 40A cuircuit then shouldn't you really breaker the hob down with a 32A breaker

the problem is how to mount that breaker without it looking total ****

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back