Cooker control Unit fitting help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these 2 things the same thing and if not what do I need to connect a double electric oven to a dedicated cooker circuit? I have a large hole in the wall where an electric cooker used to be and it was tiled over until I removed the tiles in preparation for new cabinets. So far I can see some very thick cables taped up. I can take photos and post up later.

I was just wondering what I needed to buy to power the new oven because the old connection is around 1.5m away from where the new oven will go.

Sponsored Links
Cooker control Unit:

MKK5060.JPG

Cooker Connection Unit:

MKK5045.JPG

Photos would be a big help so we can see what you have currently got, and advise you what you want.

Akshay said:
Are these 2 things the same thing and if not what do I need to connect a double electric oven to a dedicated cooker circuit? I have a large hole in the wall where an electric cooker used to be and it was tiled over until I removed the tiles in preparation for new cabinets. So far I can see some very thick cables taped up. I can take photos and post up later.

I was just wondering what I needed to buy to power the new oven because the old connection is around 1.5m away from where the new oven will go.

A cooker switch. £10-15 pounds. Your existing cable (Probably ten mil can got to the supply connections, and your cooker cable to the load.

Here are some pictures (I didn't know how to create thumbnail links so they're full size I'm afraid!)

This pic shows a single supply cable which looks like 6mm2 to me.

Wall1.jpg

This picture shows where the socket is located on the wall. The fridge is where the electric oven will be housed in the cabinet. There is a pillar on the far right near the double socket, past which the kitchen continues via wall cabinets and worktops. Total length of the wall shown is around 2.5m.

Wall2.jpg

Sponsored Links
myideack2.jpg

For my idea you will need:

Relevant tools - Drivers, bolster, hammer, fixings, crimps, crimping tool.
Large flush backbox for cooker switch.
cooker switch.
length of metal capping.
plaster for remedial if you want to do it.
few metres of cable (10MM I think)
Blanking plate for existing hole.

Why not leave the CCU where it is, put a new front on it, and wire a cooker outlet from here to behind the new oven position?

Thanks guys, I'm not sure if I was clear in my original post though. That chasing makes sense, and I'm pretty sure the cable is not 2.5mm2 because it looks alot thicker than the 2.5mm2 I've installed elsewhere, so will probably play safe and use some 6mm2 for the extension. What I need to know is what exactly do I need behind the electric oven to connect to the power supply?

I see that a CCU was mentioned but seeing as the initials for 2 devices are the same, would I need a cooker connection unit or control unit behind the oven. To make things clearer that wall in the picture will be covered by flush tall units as follows: A pull out larder -> american fridge freezer -> Pull out larder -> unit containing oven -> tall cupboard.

So whatever is installed behind the oven will be hidden, so do I need a control unit somewhere visible to be able to isolate the oven or will a cooker connection unit (as shown by RF Lighting) be ok?

I think the supply cable may have been removed from the consumer unit but this will need to be checked so I know it has its own dedicated fuse.

If it has 1.0 or 1.5 earth it'll be 2.5. With a 2.5 earth it'll be 6.0.

Is it run in conduit?

The cable should not be extended in 10.0 unless the existing cable is 10.0.

I think its either 4 or 6mm but I need to chase it to a more convenient location. In the picture above, there will be a large cupboard to the right of where you see the fridge. The oven will go where the fridge is now.

What I'm thinking of doing is surface-installing a cooker control switch inside the cupboard with an output cable going to a cooker outlet terminal behind the oven on the wall.

Now what I need to know is:

1. How do I take the fixed cable from the chase to inside the cupboard (just exit it from the wall and poke through a hole?)

2. What size flex do I need to go from the cooker outlet terminal to the oven itself?

I think I'm half way there with my solution, just need some good advice on the point above. :)

Anyone please? I haven't had any replies to my last post and I need advice before the plasterers come over this weekend. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back