cooker extractor & linking to chimney flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
can anyone advise? we are looking to modify our chimney breast in our kitchen and have a cooker recessed. we are also wanting to connect a built-in canopy extractor to the existing chimney flue liner (metal liner).
Question : - are we able to connect the extraction unit to the flue in the first place? if so what would i need to consider when purchasing an extractor unit.
cheers
TD

Sponsored Links
i have known several people do this without any problems.
one customer has been running hers for several years without any complaints. and she does a lot of cooking!
i guess the one thing to consider would be condensation forming in the flue, though this will occur with all extractor ducts at some point.

if your chimney is two storeys high then get a bloody powerful extractor and definitely fit a condensation trap.

Sponsored Links
I would like to do a similar sort of thing in the house I'm hoping to buy. It's a bog standard 2 up 2 down Victorian house built in 1880. In the kitchen the chimney breast still exists and would originally have housed what they called the 'Kitchener' (named after Lord Kitchener) which included a large metal flew going up the chimney.

Anyway, the 'cut out' in the chimney breast is still there but the actual chimney has been sealed off (I'm not sure how thoroughly). What I'd like to do is have a hob and an extractor fan embedded in the chimney stack (where it's already cut out, obviously) and then a flew coming out of the chimney breats on the right hand side and then running along extracting the fumes from the hob out of the external kitchen wall.

How easy is that then? Is it expensive to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back