Cooker & Fan Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have bought a 45amp cooker switch with a socket which I intend to replace a double socket on my Mains Ring with.

Will this be suitable to run the cables for a gas oven, gas hob and electric extractor fan to, and still use the plug for a lamp or kettle?

It will be on the mains ring, and the appliances wired directly into it, not plugged in.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not really no. The ring main has a total rating of 30A or so, and is intended for sockets all round the building.
A cooker circuit is meant to be fitted at the end of a dedicated radial, particularly a 45A one.

But you don't need 45A in any case - so why the monster switch - better would have been a normal switch fuse, which you could hard wire too.
A cooker switch has no fuses, so your hob ignition and all the other stuff (which will be a few amps at most) doesn't need a 45A fuse to 30A ring, with no further protection.
It needs a little plug-style 3A fuse, either wired as normal in a plug, or a switch fuse unit if hard wired.
I'm afraid it seems you've bought slightly the wrong thing - do they do sale or return?

Hi

I think I may have confused myself here. I run a fused Spur off the mains ring and hard wire all three applicances into it that should be OK!

Didn't think a Gas Cooker would need a dedicated radial.

An electric cooker (or hob and doubleoven combo) would need to be wired into the cooker switch you bought, and a 10mm cable run back to the consumer unit.

3 appliances need 3 fused spurs. No arguement. 3 appliances and 1 spur is like wiring 3 appliances into one plug. potentially dangerous and overloading.

What you describe there however, willtd is suitable for connecting to 2 fused spurs. The hob and oven will need one 3 amp spur, they can be wired together, since they require very little power, and the 3 amp fuse will provide plenty of protection! The fan will require a 5 amp spur on its own.

In this situation, the switch you bought should not be used. This is only for high-power electric cookers and should never be wired on a ring main.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
3 appliances need 3 fused spurs. No arguement.
Oh - I don't know about that....

There are good reasons for having 1 per appliance, but in this case need is not one of them

3 appliances and 1 spur is like wiring 3 appliances into one plug. potentially dangerous and overloading.
Let's see - 2 igniters at less than 1 amp each, and a fan/hood at less than 2A? I doubt it would come to 3A, let alone 13...

What you describe there however, willtd is suitable for connecting to 2 fused spurs. The hob and oven will need one 3 amp spur, they can be wired together, since they require very little power, and the 3 amp fuse will provide plenty of protection! The fan will require a 5 amp spur on its own.
I'd worry that a 1kW fan would suck the food out of the pans..

But even if you are right, that's less than 8A, so how would it overload an FCU?

ban-all-sheds said:

now that i'd like to see! ;)

I was just saying how i'd wire it. Is it allowed to wire all 3 into one FCU? Seeing as they are different types of appliance etc. My kitchen fan claimed to require a 5 amp fuse in the supply, so i was going on this. Will this be for a starting current? (being a motor, maybe 2 in some models)

Anyhow, for ease of wiring (and so as not to spoil the tiling above the worktop), i didn't use an FCU for my gas oven, i fitted a socket in a cupboard next to it and fed the flex through to a plug. This can be isolated by the cooker switch which still controls the electric hob and this socket.

crafty1289 said:
ban-all-sheds said:

now that i'd like to see! ;)

At least that would save buying a blender, just need someone on the roof to catch the soup as it comes out of the vent:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back