Cooker hood - OK to spur off the radiul cooker circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Subject line says a lot really. I would like to add a cooker hood above our all electric double oven/5 ring hob. I could spur off one of the sockets but it would be a lot less work and mess to spur off the cooker circuit as I was planning on putting the 5amp FCU for the hood right next to the cooker swith. Is this ok or should I do the extra work and spur off the sockets.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You know the answer really dont you :LOL:

Nothing to stop you reg wise, but you know your self it would be a better job if it came off the sockets :D

OK - let's examine this.

1) It is not against the regs.

2) It would be perfectly OK to have a CCU with a socket, for which the official allowance is 5A, and plug the hood in.

3) It is not perfectly OK to have a CCU without a socket and with a 5A FCU.

Why is this?

Could it be that a cooker hood is not a "cooking appliance"?

Sponsored Links
It's just a load. We come back to the socket argument - "cooker circuits" are allowed to have a socket, into which you could plug anything.

I can think of no reason why a cooker circuit could not just as well have an FCU instead of a socket.

That can be an issue, particularly with 10mm².

With so many people going for separate ovens & hobs, and wanting to also connect extractor hoods and/or igniters, it's about time the accessory manufacturers started offering CCUs with integral FCUs and two sets of main output terminals - one for hob & one for oven. I've just been looking at the specs for an 80A DIN mount distribution block, which in the space of about 1.5x the width of a typical MCB can accommodate 3 16mm² cables, so it would not exactly be fiddly to get something the size of a CCU to accept 3 x 10mm² T/E and 1 or 2 x 1.0mm² or 1.5mm²....

how is say a 4mm or even a 2.5mm spur from a 45A or 50A cooker cuircuit any different/worse than a 2.5mm spur from a ring or a 16mm spur from a 1200A rec trunk cable?

as long as you make sure it can disconnect a short rapidly and there is overload protection at the far end i can't see any reason you would have to stay in the same cable size

a man after my own heart plugwash :)

but we would all prefer to avoid the scinario :)

Lectrician said:
but we would all prefer to avoid the scinario :)
Would we?

As long as it is safe, and as long as it is not disallowed, I think it's a very elegant solution. Igniters and hoods are part of the overall cooking apparatus, and logically they are better on the same circuit as the hob and the oven than they are spurred off a socket or lighting circuit.

IMHO.

this is fairly true. I would still prefer to see the same size cables used through out (upto the fcu anyway).

We fitted a 4way CU in a kitchen cupboard fed via a CCU. This fed a gas hob ignitor, hood, elec oven, and a 2 ring elec hob.

ban-all-sheds said:
As long as it is safe, and as long as it is not disallowed, I think it's a very elegant solution. Igniters and hoods are part of the overall cooking apparatus, and logically they are better on the same circuit as the hob and the oven than they are spurred off a socket or lighting circuit.

I agree with you, it is a more elegant approach. However, it is not a recognised circuit configuration and the accessories aren't designed to be used this way (this doesn't mean it isn't allowed or isn't safe). I for one would like to see the regulations and accessories changed.

Sorry for joining in, ive similar need. So are you all saying take the feed from the Cooker point with the same size caple to the hood errr or not ?

I think you have to read the above and form your own conclusions as to to whether you should.

If you do, then yes, use the same size cable to the FCU.

plugwash :
as long as you make sure it can disconnect a short rapidly and there is overload protection at the far end i can't see any reason you would have to stay in the same cable size
I think you sparks have changed your mind on this issue? There may be overload protection at the CU but it may be 50A and the cable to the FCU is only 1.5mm² because the load is limited to13A. Isn't this wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back