Copper microbore to plastic dodgy connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While repairing a friend's leaky radiator, I found that the copper final
connections to the radiators were attached to plastic pipe behind the
plasterboard, but with no connector apparent. The microbore appeared to
have been shoved up the 10mm plastic. The ends of the plastic are not
cleanly cut (looks like the plumber chewed through the pipe).

While the connections were not related to the leak (yet), is the method:

a) a common way of doing things?
b) a short-cut too far?
c) both of the above?

PS. The plastic was white - couldn't see enough to see a brand name.

Sponsored Links
Sounds a bit ropey to me! It certainly isn't a practice that a proffesional adopts and to be honest if what you are saying is true i wonder how it ever sealed? If in doubt rip it out.

sounds like plastic coated microbore nothing to worry about. the jagged edges are probably were the plumber cut the plastic back

Sponsored Links
The microbore appeared to
have been shoved up the 10mm plastic. quote]
That means it isn't into a fitting me old fruit bat and If it were you wouldn't be able to pull a plastic coat over it would you? As they are so bulbous. But the test of time will tell us everything! :LOL:

what? microbore reels can come with two protective coatings blue or white to put any fitting or soldered join on them you have to cut back the plastic that is already supplied on the copper reel

holty said:
what? microbore reels can come with two protective coatings blue or white to put any fitting or soldered join on them you have to cut back the plastic that is already supplied on the copper reel

This sounds like it is probably what it is. It was hard to see, and it didn't
seem sensible to pull it any further to see better. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back