Copper pipe = Curtain Rail!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large bay window, and wanted to fit curtains to it. Couldn't find anything on the market, and what I did find was quite disappointing.

So I made a curtain rail from 22mm copper pipes and painted it black with metal paint. Used bending springs to shape it. It looks really good.

Sponsored Links
What about stove enamelling? That's pretty sturdy stuff. Could that be applied to copper? Or powder coating? Not as scratch resistent, but only the 'top' would get rubbed by curtain rings.

Sponsored Links
Is copper an unsuitable material to paint? I used direct to metal paint?

no, ist not the paint thats a problem or the copper, its the "curtain rings" will rub the paint off due to friction, but hopefully only on the top

lol! I recently moved into a victorian terraced with bay windows and previous owner had done the same. We thought at the time - how weird it was to use copper piping as a curtain rail until we went to buy a curtain rail and couldn't find any!!! Not that it really mattered as went for wooden blinds!!

I did this in my downstairs loo - and used Hammerite paint. 3 years on and no paint flaking or chipping off the top or anywhere else :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back