Cordless Circular Saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought a cheap (£40) cordless circular saw from Argos. Now, before anyone tells me I should only buy pro tools I am not a pro and really I only wanted this to occasionally cut MDF/chipboard when the B&Q timber saw is out of order (which seems to be most of the time). Last time I bought a couple of sheets of 18mm MDF I had to spend about an hour with the MDF propped between my car boot and my workbench going at it with my handsaw!

Even so, I am deeply disappointed with this saw. It struggles to cut 15mm chip board. A fully charged battery (18V) will do about 2 feet of it before being exhausted which basically means its utterly useless. I've given it a bit of a chance because the instructions say the batteries don't reach full capacity until after five charges but its still rubbish!

I'm planning on taking it back and saying it's not fit for purpose.

I was just wondering how this compared to other DIY cordless circular saws. Are they all useless or is there one anyone would recommend?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I also purchased a budget cordless circular saw just before xmas. I was going to use it for fitting some new doors. Took it back the very next day because the battery lasted top cut and half a bottom cut before needing a recharge. Also, the riving knife didn't line up with the blade so it was impossible to cut accurately. A full refund was given.

ive got an 18 volt dewalt saw and i wouldnt be without it. Cost 65 new on ebay and already had the batteries. Superb bit of kit

How long does the DeWalt last on one charge? Or how far can it cut on one charge?
Does it handle 2x4 OK?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the ampage of the battery. You can get them up to 3.0 amps now. Ive got a couple of these and i spent the day using it on and off and it pretty much went the whole day. Its referred to as a trim saw but it seems to handle most cuts pretty well as long as you let it do the work. It will go across a 4x 2 quite easily. have a look on ebay

its like most things, you spend little money, you get little quality.

Thye use cheaper components to make the things, so workmanship construction is not that good

Thanks for all the replies.

I took the saw back to Argos today (after having it for two months or so) and got my money back with no trouble at all. I'll just have to make do with my corded one for now and keep an eye out on ebay!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back