Corgi membership

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys have a query re registration/membership.

I installed a bathroom last year for a client who asked me about replacing her boiler.
I advised finding a local corgi registered installer.
I was back in this week to install a cloakroom suite when she explained the problems she was having with her boiler installation.

Apparently she was recommended an installer by a friend who had 15 years gas experience. When he arrived to do a quote he presented his corgi id card which she actually copied and entered his id number on the corgi website to confirm he was registered which showed he was.

However after the installation she requested a corgi inspection as the boiler was not a condensing model.
The inspector made a report which stated the installer was not corgi registered personally and that the installation was illegal.

Obviously she was very shocked and explained that she had checked his card and on the website where his details came up as correct. Stating that on the website it asks you to check the id card for the orange shield and enter the id number to confirm the validity of the card.

I advised her that companies can be corgi registered and under this umbrella it covers certain employees but only if they are working on company jobs.
However surely he is competant and is registered on the corgi site this would not make his installation illegal?
Or does he revert to an incompetent person who corgi have never heard of or checked after he clocks off from work?

I know this subject raises it head quite often but the particulars in this case do not relate to diyers working on gas appliances.

Any views guys.

Pete

Moved to plumbing because it is corgi related. corgi is plumbing

Sponsored Links
I think the term is 'moonlighting'

Yes, Its illegal to carry out 'paid' gas work, if your not working for a Corgi registered business, who got paid for the job?

Fitting a non condensing boiler, probably, did not meet current building regulations, there are exemptions.

She is probably a little old lady with too much money to spend. It then becomes surprising that she was apparently not given a price for a nice quality condensing boiler.

I dont understand how she could have checked the CORGI number and come to the conclusion that he was registered to work directly for her as the business name would have been different unless he told her that moonlighting was acceptable. Can you quote the CORGI number or email me so I can see how this could have arisen?

What are CORGI doing about the installer now?

What does the installer say?

It does not matter how competent he is if he is not personally registered he is breaking the law! Sadly for him he has also not complied with Building Regulations by fitting a non compliant boiler and not notifying them. That can attract a fine of £1000 per day!

Whats she going to do next?

By the way I see several each month!

Tony

Hi Tony
I do not have the details. The customer simply typed in his card id number and his name came up albeit with the company he works for too.
It would be sensible for the website to state that being listed as an installer does not mean they can install outside their workplace.

The non condensing boiler was installed due to the nearest waste outlet location not easily accessed (second floor flat in a converted building with seperate sewers)

Not sure what corgi are doing as I am not invloved I guess following up their inspection findings.

The customer had not paid the installer pending the inspection hence is not paying at all now even though he supplied the boiler etc.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Fluffster said:
Hi Tony

The customer had not paid the installer pending the inspection hence is not paying at all now even though he supplied the boiler etc.

Pete

Thats wonderful!

He does not have a leg to stand on! Working when not CORGI, not notifying to Building Control, no dispensation and now NO PAYMENT ! That will teach him not to be a cowboy!

She could also rub it in by reporting him to his employers! They will not be very pleased either!

I would be very happy to give any advice to the lady if you wanted to pass on my contact details from my profile.

How did she come across this cowboy?

Tony

Hi Agile,
while we're on this subject, does getting a CR plumber guarantee that the plumber will carry out a reasonably competent job on non-gas related plumbing? I employed a CRP who couldn't find the correct pipe under the floor so cut into the pipe above the HW tank and fed this thro' to my new shower room. This (plastic) pipe just hangs loose from above the tank without any means of support and will eventually. under gravity, detatch itself from the joint.

while we're on this subject, does getting a CR plumber guarantee that the plumber will carry out a reasonably competent job on non-gas related plumbing

Why would you think that getting a Corgi plumber would guarantee a good job on a non gas job.

There is no guarentee that he would do a good gas related job.

Agile said:
Fluffster said:
Hi Tony

Pete

Thats wonderful!

He does not have a leg to stand on! Working when not CORGI, not notifying to Building Control, no dispensation and now NO PAYMENT ! That will teach him not to be a cowboy!

She could also rub it in by reporting him to his employers! They will not be very pleased either!

I would be very happy to give any advice to the lady if you wanted to pass on my contact details from my profile.

How did she come across this cowboy?

Tony

Lets have a hanging agile big ficken deal not a condenser so ficken what
grow up as..s licker.

well it says in the building regs you have to fit a condensor the old granny was after a cheepy done and she got it and as usual they want a rolls royce fitted .

go to the scrap yard granny you penny piching ass wipe and why you was on the corgi web site why did you not look at your local corgi installers
no you wanted a cheepy and yea got it, these canda people make me sick old people remind me of tightwads

kevplumb said:
ahh bob for once (and i promise not to make a habit of it ) ;)

i agree

Well thanks kev its out of my system now but when you see post like this it m,akes my blood boil.

BOB.ELOD said:
kevplumb said:

i agree

Well thanks kev its out of my system now but when you see post like this it m,akes my blood boil.

falls over :eek:

Did the blokey bloke who put the boiler excempt the old granny from part L

it aint beyond the realms of possibilty

kevplumb said:
nope prob not

but let's be fair son if you are employed do you suddenly become an IDIOT at 4/30 ;)

:oops: read the post now

dammit

Mind you I have been know to become an idiot when the favourite failed to come in on the 4/30

:)

kevplumb said:

i agree

Do you know what bob?, I do too.....feels kind of odd ;)

you both need a sit down and an ovaltine.

I promise this wierd feeling will pass

deep breathes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back