Corgi taking the P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been corgi registered since before it was compulsory and have always supported the almighty corgi. But even I am now starting to get hacked off.
I recently had one of their supprise (sneaky) inspections. The one thing that they inspector picked up was a lack of lagging on the condense pipe. A heinous crime I think you'll agree. that was 2 weeks ago. I have lagged the pipe and then forgotten to send off the notice, I've been busy working. Honest. Today I get a snotty letter from corgi stating that unless they are notified of the rectification then they will have to consider my membership! FFS! Getting kicked out for not lagging a condense pipe! Which to my mind is not in the remit of gas safety.
Hurry up NAPIT. Although why they should be any better I don't know.

Sponsored Links
They are very keen indeed Chris and well organised. If a little naffed off about the poor quality of the gas fitters on the corgi register who they were supposed to OK for electrical work, when they turned up it was a shambles blokes knew little and had nothing more than a multimeter. They handed the shambles back to corgi.

Roll on Napit doing it.

This year I twice had to ask for my corgi card, it never did arrive, in the end I paid an extra £11 and eventually I did get one.

in the last few weeks I have phoned three times asking for a copy of my insurance, third time lucky it finally came.

Join Argi Chris and let em try.

And just why Paul is using Corgy for insurance etc is mind numbing, when Argi can do it a lot cheaper.

Same with stationary, don't give the dogs anymore than is absolutely neccessary.

My insuarance is about 800 quid for 5 mil public and 10 mil employer, is that a lot? (seems a lot to me!)

I'd be delighted if argi would join up with napit to help run their gas side, as I am really impressed with napit as an organisation. On the lectrical side they are very professional and competent, non of the nods as good as a wink stuff you get at acs centres, you've got to be cock on or they fail you. I've never been examined so thoroughly in my life, but also so professionally. I have a huge amount of confidence in such a professional organisation behind me. I don't mind being tested rigorously, it keeps me on my metal.

That is to say aslong as it isn't penny pinching about a small length of lagging on prescot pipe.

Sponsored Links
There's a link on the site Paul, you are free to get a quote. and they promise a saving for all members.

Unfortunately you can add a couple of noughts to your price for our insurance :eek: :eek:

Wait one minute here

The last time I talked to a CORGI inspector I was told that they had no plans to do "surprise" inspections as they had not yet sorted out the datat protection act ramifications of contacting someone whose details they have recieved from a third party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have checked my Gas Installer Mags for the last three months, after reading this here thread, and saw nothing about a change of mindset re this type of inspections

Not that I have any problem with my work being checked but I feel it would have at least been polite to CORGI's customers by having the comman decency to let us know!!!!!!!

Oh I am that mad I am

Corgy have been contacting the clients privately and doing robust inspections for some time.

How legal that is i would hate to think.

Tommo says it alarming how many faults is comming to light :LOL:

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for on the spot inspections. But it still won't highlight "cowboy" installations because they won't be registered. I've, this week, seen 2 flue installations which while they might not be illegal (although I'm sure at least one is) are in he least highly comical. I saw a vertical roof terminating flue which had been put on to come out horizontally and a horizontal flue put on to come out from under a roof tile! so when it snows it'll get blocked as it was only sticking out by about 150mm. I'll take some pics and post them.
Back to the subject of Corgi taking the p.
Last year I informed the mad dogs of an installer in my area who had gained ACS on a forged city and guilds level 3 certificate. He'd taken a friends and scanned it then used photo shop to change the names and dates. He's now trading as Corgi registered. Corgi told me there was little they could do about this. Which means there is a person who has not met there criteria for membership, ie: obtained acs he should have been able to. But they let him carry on. Then Someone like myself who has been registered for almost 20 years (my number is 2000 and something not 200000 and something.) gets threatened with loss of member ship for not lagging a condense pipe.
Where do I join agri???? :cry:

Our number is 600 and something :eek:

Do tell your story and pics at argi after you join, its free at the moment :LOL:

add .org.uk to argi

DIA argi appears to be a good site and association for RGI's however when i registered 4 weeks ago my account is still inactive so hope your in no rush chris. :eek:

lcgs said:
DIA argi appears to be a good site and association for RGI's however when i registered 4 weeks ago my account is still inactive so hope your in no rush chris. :eek:

We do check everyone.

Have you filled in both parts of the form and are all the details correct.

email kev if you have a problem, as it should only take a few hours

You are in the members list as LCGS nhave you received an confirmation email.

Step 1

You will need to create a forum account before you can complete the application form in Step 2

Step 2

Please make sure you have the Username & E-mail address that you used to create the Forum Account, before continuing with step 2.

kevplumb said:
kevs having slight tech probs at the mo john all applications will be sorted ;)

Thats allright then, if he needs a hand let me know. :rolleyes:

Whilst I have no problem about "robust" CORGI inspections as the general standard of many boiler installations is very poor, my concern is that they are only looking at the best installations!

They totally ignore the many boilers fitted by the non registered. I go to some of these under the manufacturers guarantee and only last week went to one fitted badly by a non-reg. There was even a gas leak on the supply pipework and the owner called Transco who capped it off.

The non-reg then called a friend of his who is registered but only when working for Transco and not for boilers either.

CORGI will do nothing about this total abuse of the registration requirements even when all the details are given to them ( unless its from the owner ).

I sometimes get the impression that ALL British Gas engineers fit boilers in their spare time. ( They are not registered when they do that but CORGI dont bother about them. )

Instead they persecute the legally registered and behave totally adsurdly like cutting off a boiler because a Benchmark was not completed or a 1.5 mB pressure drop on a gas supply.

Tony

john, kev thanks for the help. I'll finish completeing everything later. Didn't realise there were 2 bits to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back