cork expansion strip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought 23 sq.m. of Wickes solid oak flooring - I don't particularly want to lay it with a cover-strip over the expansion joint and would prefer to see a flush cork strip around the perimeter, as you see in squash courts etc. But if I pack the expansion gap with cork, will that impede the floors ability to expand - or is cork soft enough to take up the movement?

Sponsored Links
Cork is soft enough to take some of the expansion, but not all, you'll fill your gap for 50%.
also, when the floor expands, the cork can start to make screaking noises when you walk on the floor.
You could replace your skirting boards to cover the gap, but make sure these are 20 - 22mm thick for solid flooring (15 - 17mm for Wood-Engineered flooring), or use flat beading, making it look like a picture frame
see this post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back