correct installation of downlights in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any one know the most acceptable way to install down lights in a bathroom with an insulated loft above?
When I did my part p course there were various ideas. Boxing in the fitting and transformer with fire proof material? Fire hoods/using intumescant fittings - what about the tranny? Cut back the insulation so that it doesn't touch the equipment (don't think this one works?). Also, what if you have a flat roof abve that's insulated?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Brian

Sponsored Links
The light and transformer instructions should tell you the nearest that you can place insulation.

There's no point in fitting fire hoods in the loft space - these are intended for enclosed sealings between floors and, particularly, properties (i.e. flats).

And you shouldn't box in either - keep plenty of space around the light.

Softus said:
The light and transformer instructions should tell you the nearest that you can place insulation.

There's no point in fitting fire hoods in the loft space - these are intended for enclosed sealings between floors and, particularly, properties (i.e. flats).

And you shouldn't box in either - keep plenty of space around the light.

Finally, some feedback.

Cheers

Brian

Sponsored Links
Dont forget the lights must be suitable for the zone in which they are installed.
There's building regs to consider and they should be moisture sealed to prevent all that steam going up in the loft too, but I expect that you covered all of that in depth on your "Part P" course.....

Did you get a Part P certificate, by the way? Can we see a picture of it.. :LOL:

TTC

Taylortwocities said:
Dont forget the lights must be suitable for the zone in which they are installed.
There's building regs to consider and they should be moisture sealed to prevent all that steam going up in the loft too, but I expect that you covered all of that in depth on your "Part P" course.....

Did you get a Part P certificate, by the way? Can we see a picture of it.. :LOL:

TTC

Why don't you believe me??!! :)

No seriously, I've just scanned my certificate and I believe I need to send it to a picture sharing site... so I'll keep you posted

Brian[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back