Correct way to extend 6 or 10mm cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of our kitchen refurb I need to extend the existing 6 or 10mm cable approximately 2-3m. (I haven't checked the cable size yet).

What is the approved way of doing this ?, as I believe you shouldn't have inacessible connection boxes.

Sponsored Links
But if you really can't replace it then crimping is the next best option. Followed by a 60A junction box that is readily accessible.

It would be difficult to replace it because of where it is located in the room, let alone the additional £25 of cable.

There is already a 32a junction box on the cable that comes from the DP switch (To extend it further to the cooker)

How acessible does it have to be?

Sponsored Links
Very, as opposed to slightly.

Either it is accessible or not.

Where are you putting it?

Replace the bit of cable from the switch, or are you moving the switch too?

how much are you wanting to extend it?

The existing wall where the cooker was is being knocked down. The wire will instead have to be run in the roof for and extra 1m and approx 1m down the nearest wall to a new cooker DP switch.

So need to extend it approx 2m

Looks like youve got a problem then ;)

People on here recommend crimps, I wouldnt. Id only recommend replacing the cable, As far as I'm concerned its the only real solution, especially on 6mm² and 10mm² cables.

But you know what they say.. Opinions are Like ars$hole$... everyone has one.

David

Paul_Thomas said:
let alone the additional £25 of cable.

So you are happy to have walls knocked down, and redo the kitchen, but you will not spend £25 to do the job properly.

If you are doing all this work the replacement is the way to do it.

Cables should only be jointed as a last resort which this clearly isnt.

Ok Guys, point taken.

I'll wait until the walls are down and see what access I have to run a new cable.

Thanks

Paul

alot of people arond here recommend replacin cables but if there not damged its not worth the money hassle and mess.Most of the cables in peoples houses are shabby and old so its not goin to matter if you can replace it do

dont be fooled by bunch of robotic repeatings of lines from a regs book

In a stirring mood tonight?

I'm sure even you can appreciate that the fewer the joints in a cable (or pipe for that matter) the better. If you can replace it, do.

johnnyjb said:
alot of people arond here recommend replacin cables but if there not damged its not worth the money hassle and mess.Most of the cables in peoples houses are shabby and old so its not goin to matter if you can replace it do

With respect a shabby cable with its conductors intact and un-jointed is not a fire risk unless the insulation falls off and a dead short occurs. When this happens the circuit protection will operate before enough heat is generated at the short to cause a fire.

A joint in a cable if the clamping pressure is reduced can become a resistive joint. When current passes through the joint it heats up. The currrent is not excessive so the circuit protection has no reason to operated. The heat builds up and the junction box and /or ajacent material is damaged or destroyed by heat.

johnnyjb said:

The regs are there for a reason.
Their sole purpose is to prevent injury or death to people and livestock, and damage to buildings from unsafe / faulty electrical installations.

They are written by some incredibly knowledgeable and experienced people.

I know that I only ever joint a cable as a last resort. I would sooner replace the cable and be happy in the knowlege that I have done the job right, as I'm sure many others do.

Do you have no pride in your work?

And anyway, where does it say in 7671 that you cannot use junction boxes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back