Corrosion on Live wire of shower pullcord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the above when I went initially to clean the fitting. However, now I am replacing because the fitting looks somewhat brittle inside. I have enough play in the cable to cut off the corrosion but what caused it?

Is it simply a case of the atmosphere in the bathroom? If so I have installed an exractor fan with a humidistat so the conditions shoul greatly improve.

Sponsored Links
Could be a bad connection ...

You should get some heat resistant sleeving with the new fitting, just slip it over the new bit of cabling when connectint the new fitting

It could be a loose connection, however something else to keep in mind is that the contacts within the switch itself deterioate with age and can eventually cause the insulation and the condutor to heat up and cause subsequent damage to the cable at the point of connection.

It is possible that you require a new switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back