COSTS OF REPAIRING LEAK FROM PIPE BELOW VALVE ON RADIATOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've got a leak from what appears to be the pipe below the radiator valve. Please can someone advise approximate cost of getting a plumber to repair this leak including VAT and perhaps what I should look for to make sure the plumber/central heating engineer does the job correctly to avoid further leaks or problems with my central heating system. My boiler is a a condensing one that was replaced over three years ago. We did not replace radiators or the valves at the time. Is there anything we can do to repair it ourselves? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If it is the joint the pipe goes into on the valve rather than the pipe split then you could try just gently tightening the nut, or if that doesn't work undoing the valve nut and putting ptfe tape around it and doing back up, put towels down etc as there will be leakage.

The other alternative is to drain system down, take joint apart, clean and re-pack with ptfe..

Impossible to give guide on pro doing it as we don't know how long it will take. Could be 15mins to 2-3 hours :rolleyes:

Or take of plastic cap on valve if there is one and check its not leaking there and running down. If it is then tighten the nut a bit and try it. :)

First of all, thanks for your replies. Believe there is a split in the pipe itself. Spoke to a plumbing company this morning and was advised they would have to drain down the system to repair the leak. How long does that take? Just thought I'd ask since they charge by the hour. I just haven't a clue myself on this. My husband's away and I just want to make sure I don't get ripped off. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Very unusual for a pipe to split without help :eek:

If its an upstairs rad the perhaps about 1-1.5 hours, downstairs about 1.5 - 2 hours if all goes well. Make sure they add new inhibitor when filling up ;)

The pipe has been leaking for possibly a few weeks before we noticed. My husband said that it appears that when the house was extended in the early 90s that they cut the pipes on either side and removed the radiator. When they put it back on, there is a join on each pipe where the cut is. Does this make sense? Not had problems with it for all the years we have been here. It was late last night and I am not sure if I got the info correct

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back