Could shed be causing damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into my flat 6 months ago and have noticed a damp patch slowly getting worse in my bathroom. The bathroom has 9" solid brick external walls and the damp patch is on a wall that the next door neighbours have a shed next to. The shed has a sloping roof with no gutter and is positioned about 6" from the wall.

What are your opinions on whether this could be causing my damp patch?

Sponsored Links
Get your neighbour (if you can!) put a gutter on the shed first, then take it from there.

Sponsored Links
It may also be worth checking for debris that has collected between the shed and the main building. If this is breaching the DPC, it may be the main cause of the problem.

I have been presented with an alternative hypothesis.

In the bathroom there is a cupboard within whcih my washer dryer is kept. Before you ask. This is outside Zone 3 and is protected by an RCD and meets Part P regulations etc.

The cupboard is made of MDF. The MDF is bone dry but the bit of wall that makes up one side of the cupboard is quite damp.

The damp patch on my wall is directly above this cupboard although there is a gap between the cupboard and the damp patch.

The theory is that condensation from the washer dryer is causing condensation on the wall and that is then seeping into the plaster and rising up the wall.

Does this sound plausible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back